Pitbull Golden Retriever Mix Facts
Table of Contents
- 1 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Golden Retriever Pit Bull Mix
- 2 3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Pitbull Retriever Mix
- 3 Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Golden Retriever Pit Bull
- 4 Pitbull Mixed With Golden Retriever Puppies for Sale
- 5 Grooming Your Pitbull Golden Retriever Mix
- 6 Pitbull Retriever Mix Health Problems
- 7 Golden Retriever Pit Bull Mix Food Requirements
- 8 Golden Retriever Pitbull Exercise Requirements
- 9 Pitbull Retriever Mix Training
- 10 Pitbull Golden Retriever Mix and Families
- 10.1 Share this post:
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Golden Retriever Pit Bull Mix
Their personalities can be unpredictable especially if you leave them for a long time — both Retrievers and Pitbull struggle with being alone since they are very devoted to having a pack. Even if they are inherently well-natured, loyal, and social, periods alone can be distressing to them. With that being said, the retriever-pit bull requires people who can provide good company at all times, and live an active lifestyle.
They may turn your things, and furniture’s into chew toys, and this is a common personality trait for both pit bull and retriever breed. This trait can be corrected, especially if you begin training your dog at an early age. Teaching them while they’re still young can help eliminate the chances of them carrying this trait in their adult years. If you think you can’t give your pup the right attention and training, the Pitbull Retriever isn’t a good option.
Pit bulls and Retrievers are inherently smart dogs, which is why training shouldn’t be a problem. However, these dogs are very independent, which is why you might experience some struggles with training them. If you already have a lot of experience with training dogs, training your pup shouldn’t be a problem. If you don’t have any skills yet, training your puppy might become a test of your patience. Seeking expert help is a good solution, and make sure to do the training while your dogs are still puppies.
Note sure the Pitbull Retriever is the perfect pup for you? Check out our full list of 30+ Golden Retriever mix breeds types.
Want to do a lot of research? Here are the Internets most in-depth puppy reviews on Golden Retriever mixes:
- Border Collie + Golden Retriever
- Australian Shepherd + Golden Retriever
- Dachshund + Golden Retriever
- Bernese Mountain Dog + Golden Retriever
- German Shepherd + Golden Retriever
- Rottweiler Golden + Retriever
- Great Pyrenees + Golden Retriever
- Corgi + Golden Retriever
- Labrador + Golden Retriever
- Husky + Golden Retriever
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Pitbull Retriever Mix
The Pitbull Golden Retriever make great family dogs, and they are undoubtedly friendly. If you want a dog who can be your forever companion, this is for you. Golden Retrievers are known for being one of the gentlest and softest dogs around, especially around children. They get along with anyone and are very patient. Pit bulls also share the same personality trait as retrievers, and they are very gentle and sweet dogs especially if you give them right training.
They are highly social and can play well with other people and animals, and bringing them around shouldn’t be a problem. If you live an active lifestyle, the Retriever Pit should be a good companion. They have high energy and can socialize with almost anyone, especially if you expose them to other people and situations at an early age. Giving them the right exposure can improve their personality trait.
The Golden Retriever Pit Bull makes a loyal companion, never leaving you and your family behind. If there’s one thing you can rely on upon with this breed, it’s that they’ll be by your side. Despite being friendly dogs, their loyalty will always be with you especially if you show them a lot of affection and kindness. The Pit Retriever mix are perfect for families who have a lot of children because they can always count on their dogs to be the angel of their kids.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Golden Retriever Pit Bull
|Height||17 to 24 inches|
|Coat Type||Short, manageable coat (taking on the side of Pit bulls), or long shaggy coats (taking the side of Retrievers)|
|Coat Color||Dark Golden Hue, Black (if the dominant gene comes from the Pit Bull)|
|Amount of Shedding||Minimal shedding for short coats
Extreme shedding for longer shaggy coats
|Temperament||Friendly, Social, Loyal to the family, and loves attention|
The Golden Retriever and Pitbull Mix can get very big, taking into account that individually the two breeds are inherently large. As a result of their size, they need to be on an excellent regular diet and fitness activities. The retriever and Pit Retriever has the potential of gaining weight without you noticing, and it can produce health complications. Keeping your Golden Retriever Pitbull at its ideal weight is easy, and you need to remember the following:
- Dedicate an active exercise regimen for them
- Give them plenty of walks
- Give them playtime to keep them engaged and fit
There are many possibilities with what your Golden Retriever Pitbull might end up looking like, but you can expect that the build of your pup will take on the retriever, and the head from the Pit Bull. The Pitbull Retriever has a beautiful and unique coat, especially if the Pit Bull has a darker shade like black. There may be some instance when your pup can have a long black shaggy coat.
You’ll never know what coat your pup will have until they grow, and there’s a 50/50 chance that it’ll be a short, manageable coat or longer one. Taking care of dogs with short coats are easy, and don’t require regular brushing. You also don’t have to worry about constant shedding, especially if that’s your concern. If your Retriever and Pitbull takes on a long shaggy coat, then you need to be ready with giving them regular brushing and expect excessive shedding.
You have nothing to worry about the temperament of Pitbull and Retriever Mix because they are generally well natured and friendly creatures. There may be several instances when the breed exhibits a rather odd trait, but this can all be corrected at a young age through the following:
- Train them at a young age;
- Give them exposure with other people and animals;
- Reward them for their excellent behavior.
Pitbull Mixed With Golden Retriever Puppies for Sale
If you’re about to buy your new puppies, there are many precautions you need to be mindful off, and here’s what you need to look out for:
- Buy from a reliable breeder who has a happy and healthy Pitbull Golden Retriever Mix. Breeding can lead to many complications, especially if it wasn’t done correctly. Do a bit of research to find out where your pups came from and whether they were successfully bred. You want to make sure that both the parents of the puppy are healthy. Doing your homework can help you avoid the following complications:
- Health complications.
- Development of negative personality traits.
- Shorter than average lifespan.
- Ask for documents to know the fitness of your puppies. A good and reliable breeder always have documents to show you the competence of the parents of the pups, as well as their health records. You can check whether they are updated with their vaccines and health records, and know what pre-existing conditions they might have. Most importantly, you want a breeder who already gave your pups some preventive vaccines.
- Crossbreeds can get very expensive, depending on the situation and where you get them. In most cases, the price is an excellent factor in determining the history of your pups. Here are some possible implications:
- Being charged a higher rate is average for the circumstance where the puppy shows a particular or rare trait. This can include different colors for the coat or eyes.
- Low charges can sometimes mean that the puppies were overbred, and overbreeding can often cause unhealthy litters.
Grooming Your Pitbull Golden Retriever Mix
Like any other dog, a healthy Retriever-Pitbull requires good grooming. Grooming your Pit Bull Retriever isn’t a challenge, depending on which your pup takes after. If your puppy takes after the coat of the Pitbull, a short, manageable coat, your job is relatively easy. You don’t have to worry about regular shedding. Here’s what you can do for your short-haired retriever Pitbull pups
- Give them regular baths to avoid ticks and fleas from seeking home under their coat.
- Get their nails regularly trimmed, mainly because they are hyper dogs. There’s a risk that they might accidentally scratch you or your children while they are playful.
- Brush them regularly to eliminate loose furs.
If your pup takes on the coat of golden retrievers, longer shaggy goats, then you need to give their grooming more attention. At times their grooming can be challenging especially because of their long shaggy coats. Here’s what you can do for their grooming:
- Brush them regularly to avoid their coat being tangled;
- Give them regular baths prevent fleas and ticks burrowing on their fur. Be mindful, however, not to over bathe them since it might cause their skin to be dry.
Grooming your dog is essential, and there are many benefits to it:
- Grooming keeps your dog’s health. A good brushing helps remove dead hair and maintains the beautiful quality of your dog’s fur. It can help improve the shine of your dog’s coat.
- Your dog looks beautiful at all times. If your mix takes on the Golden Retriever coat, then it’s essential that you keep its fur looking beautiful and tangle free. Regular brushing is an excellent place to start.
Pitbull Retriever Mix Health Problems
As much as you’d like your dog not to develop any health problems, it’s often impossible, as dog owners, the best you could do is to prevent them from having health problems or at least reduce its impact. All dogs have the propensity of developing genetic health problems, and some breeds are more prone than others. The Golden Retriever-Pitbull mix has an average life expectancy of 10 to 15 years, depending on their health. The combination is also likely to the following health problems: bloat, hip dysplasia, heart diseases, and cancer.
Bloat is a medical emergency which is life-threatening to dogs. This occurs when the stomach of your dog fills with gas, and it twists in a way that your dog can’t release gas and food. Bloat is among the leading cause of deaths for many large and giant dogs, which is why you need to watch out for the following symptoms:
- Swollen hard belly;
- Signs of distress, pain and restless.
Hip Dysplasia is common among large dogs, and it can drastically change your dog’s way of life. The condition can be prevented as long as you’re mindful of your dog’s weight and nutrition because these are some of the common causes why dog’s get this condition. Hip dysplasia is preventable, and precautionary measure isn’t that hard, and you need to be mindful of the following:
- Feed your dog its special nutritional requirements, and supplements to promote bone development.
- Give them regular exercise so that your dog doesn’t become overweight.
Some of the symptoms of hip dysplasia include:
- Reduce activity and inability to jump and run properly.
- Having a hard time walking and exhibiting signs of pain.
Golden Retriever Pit Bull Mix Food Requirements
Your dog’s diet depends on its breed, and overfeeding them is never a good idea because it can lead to many health problems. Although the Pitbull Golden Retriever mix is a large breed, you need to regulate their diet. If you’re unsure of your pup’s food requirements, be mindful of these tips:
- Introduce fresh food like fruits and vegetables because these ingredients are rich in fiber, and have a lot of nutrients. Unlike the worst dry dog food, the best dry dog food contains all the nutrients dogs need.
- Avoid processed foods and choose ingredients rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, such as Wellness Core Dog Food or Dog For Dog Food. Inflammation is the number one cause for your dog’s premature aging, and this is the effect of many processed foods. Adding food boosters such as Nutra Thrive dog food supplement can also be convenient.
- Avoid cooking your dog’s meat and leave it raw. Unlike humans, dogs are better off with eating raw meat than cooked ones.
- Mind their size. Petite pooches have different dietary needs when compared to their larger cousins. Choose wisely between the best dry dog food for small dogs and the best large breed dry dog food according to the size of the pooch.
- Keep in mind their age. Age dictates the amount of needed nutrients, and best puppy food brands are not appropriate for older dogs, just as whelps will not make the most of the best senior dry dog food.
Golden Retriever Pitbull Exercise Requirements
Retriever Pitbull are highly energetic dogs, and they need a lot of exercises and to be with a playmate. A dog such as this retriever mix is excellent for someone who lives an active lifestyle, and who enjoys long walks, hikes, and the like. The trick with the retriever mix is that you need to exhaust their energy throughout the day, so they don’t develop destructive behaviors. Many energetic dogs who don’t get enough exercise become destructive, chewing and destroying furniture and things.
Here’s what you can help your Golden Pit Retriever be active:
- Set play dates with other big dogs, that way they can exercise and socialize at the same time.
- Give them toys which they can chew and chase around your home or lawn, especially if they don’t have anyone to play with.
- Take them on runs or when you want to exercise. With their energy levels, they’ll be sure to keep up with your demands.
Pitbull Retriever Mix Training
The Pitbull Golden Retriever are highly intelligent dogs, so training them won’t be a problem. If you’re used to training dogs, then it shouldn’t be a problem. But if you’re a beginner, then you might want to get the services of an expert trainer. Since Golden Pitbull is independent, training them can be hard because they can become stubborn. To teach them properly, here’s what you can do:
- Take the alpha position and assert your dominance. Let them know that you are in control and that they should respect your authority. A definite and firm hand lets them know of their place.
- Keep your training sessions short because you might lose their attention, and you’ll end up being unproductive.
- Give your dogs some positive reinforcement especially when they do your commands right. Praising them for their excellent behavior helps encourage them to do your commandments.
Pitbull Golden Retriever Mix and Families
There are a lot of reasons to fall in love with Pit Bull retriever, and they are perfect for every family. The breed may not be so familiar, but keeping one as a family dog is worth it. They are sweeter, friendlier than most dogs, considering how both parent dogs exhibit great personality traits. The breed is perfect for families who can give the right time and attention in training and caring.
If you’re considering getting this breed, remember that a happy dog will be a great addition to your family. Taking care of the kind requires a lot of love and attention from the family.
- Holly, Vanessa L., et al. “Golden Retriever Cystic Uveal Disease: a Longitudinal Study of Iridociliary Cysts, Pigmentary Uveitis, and Pigmentary/Cystic Glaucoma over a Decade in Western Canada.” Veterinary Ophthalmology, vol. 19, no. 3, 29 June 2015, pp. 237–244., doi:10.1111/vop.12293.
- Harnarayan, Patrick, et al. “Pit Bull Attack Causing Limb Threatening Vascular Trauma —A Case Series.” International Journal of Surgery Case Reports, vol. 42, 8 Dec. 2018, pp. 133–137., doi:10.1016/j.ijscr.2017.11.061.
- Coile, D. Caroline. Pit Bulls for Dummies. Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2002.
- Bauer, Nona Kilgore. Golden Retrievers for Dummies. Hungry Minds, 2000