Chihuahua Corgi Mix Facts
Table of Contents
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Chihuahua Corgi Mix
1. Not a Suitable Watchdog
The Chihuahua Corgi mix dogs are not the best option for a house guard or watchdog. These dogs may be alert and aware of their surroundings. They are not keen on distinguishing between friendly strangers and possible intruders. They may even become affectionate to a potential robber.
2. Prefers the Indoors
This attribute is not a drawback to all owners. It affects those who enjoy the outdoors and those who want their dogs with them. Corgi Chihuahuas prefer to stay at home. You cannot bring this dog to long swims and steep hikes.
3. Prone to Express Obsession The Chihuahua Corgis may exhibit an intense craving for attention. This behavior would entail a higher demand for your time and effort in satisfying the dog. These mixed dogs tend to get attached or clingy to their owners.Picking the breed of dog that aligns with your lifestyle is extremely important. Every year tens of thousands of dogs are put up for adoption because the owner didn’t do their research.
Not sure the Chihuahua Corgi aligns with your lifestyle? Consider adopting one of 50+ popular Corgi mixes or Chihuahua mixes.
My personal favorites are the Corgi Husky mix or the Corgi Bernese Mountain Dog mix because they are so cute, but do your research and check out the mixes below.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Corgi Crossed with Chihuahua
1. Size suitable for apartment livingSome owners want dogs with smaller sizes for various reasons. One reason is that some people are intimidated by large dogs. Another reason is the availability of space at home and the convenient size for traveling. Smaller dogs will take up less space in the house, particularly for those living in apartments. It will be easier to carry around a small dog to different places than a massive dog.
2. Great Family Companion This trait encompasses devotion and approachability to all the family members. Their intense loyalty to your family comes as second nature to these puppies.
3. Intelligent and Eager to Learn
This trait is an advantage for the owners who want to train their dogs. The Chihuahua Corgis crave learning. They are also eager to please. The combinations of these characteristics will make the drills easier compared to other dog breeds. You should get your treats ready for them because they will more willingly grant your requests.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Corgi Chihuahua Mix
Other Corgi & Chihuahua Mixes
Picking the breed of dog that aligns with your lifestyle is extremely important. Every year tens of thousands of dogs are put up for adoption because the owner didn’t do their research.
Not sure the Chihuahua Corgi aligns with your lifestyle? Consider adopting one of 50+ popular Corgi mixes or Chihuahua mixes.
|Weight||10 to 20 pounds|
|Height||7 to 12 inches|
|Coat Type||Medium or long in length|
|Coat Color||can be a combination of white, black, red, brown|
|Amount of Shedding||Little to moderate|
|Temperament||Friendly, Loving, Intelligent, Craves Attention, Social, Alert|
|Life Expectancy||12 to 14 years|
|New Owners Friendly||Yes|
|Breed Recognition||ACHC, DBR, DDKC, DRA, IDCR|
To have a better insight of the possible outcome of the combination of the Corgi and the Chihuahua, I will share my knowledge on the physical traits of the crossbreed’s parent breeds.
The Cardigan Welsh and Pembroke Welsh are the two types of the Corgi parent breed. These two types have comparable sizes. The Pembroke Welsh Corgi pups’ height ranges from 10 inches to 12 inches, and the height of the Cardigan Welsh Corgi pups’ falls between 10.5 inches to 12.5 inches.
The female Corgi dogs’ weight varies from 25 pounds to 34 pounds, while the male Corgi dogs’ weight ranges from 30 pounds to 38 pounds. These two types have characteristically alike type of coat. They possess double coats that are dense, medium-length, often flat, and weather-resistant. The different color combinations of their coat are also similar with one another, such as red, tan, fawn, and white.
The Cardigans and Pembrokes differ when it comes to the overall shape of the bodies and the tail appearance. The tails of the Pembroke type have a docked appearance, while the Cardigan type has a low-set and wide tail appearance. Cardigans often have sturdy front legs, bent outward as a support for their heavy chest.
You can also notice the differences in the facial expressions and facial structure of the two types of Corgis. The Pembroke types have a fox-like facade. This Corgi type exhibits very floppy ears. The Cardigan types tends to have a shade of blue in their eyes. Their ears are more rounded and huge than the Pembrokes’ eyes.
The Chihuahua parent breed is noted to be small dogs. It grows up from six to nine inches tall at the shoulder. It weighs about three to six pounds. This parent breed has two unofficial types, namely the Apple Head Chihuahua and the Deer Head Chihuahua. The Apple Head Chihuahua is the more popular of the two, and the one used for dog shows. It has a shorter muzzle and wide-set eyes. Both of the Chihuahua types have long tails and large ears.
The Chihuahuas may be fearful and easily scared, particularly during cold weather. They have a long life-span of 10 to 18 years.
The Chihuahua Corgi mix puppies will have a blend of these features. The crossbreeds weigh 10 to 20 pounds. Their height differs from 7 to 12 inches.
The coat of the crossbreeds is expected to have soft, short, and waterproof inner coat and a dense and weather-resistant outer coat. The colors of their coat can be a combination of white, black, red, and brown.
The Chihuahua crossed with Corgi dogs may have short to medium-length legs. Their ears are erect. Their eyes are frequently black and almond-shaped. Their nose is black as well.
The Corgi mixed with Chihuahua dogs are well-mannered and social creatures. They will fit right in the family, whether big or small. They tend to get closer and form stronger bonds with one member of the family.
The Chihuahua Corgi mix dogs may exhibit some herding behaviors duet to their Corgi ancestry. You need to be mindful of their contacts with small children and small animals.
The American Canine Hybrid Club (ACHC), Designer Breed Registry (DBR), Designer Dogs Kennel Club (DDKC), Dog Registry of America, Inc. (DRA), and International Designer Canine Registry (IDCR) recognize the Corgi mixed with Chihuahua as a dog breed.
Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua Puppies for Sale
There are certain traits that professional breeders possess which separate them from unreliable ones. One of these traits is the ability to answer your inquiries about the dog breed. This shows the extent of their knowledge and expertise in rearing and caring for the crossbreed. Another characteristic is the availability of verified papers and appropriate documentation. These will aid you in the proper management of your new dog.
You should be aware that some sellers promote the ‘Mini Chihuahua’. In reality, these dogs are normal Chihuahuas with smaller measurements than the average Chihuahua population. You will save money if you do not fall for this tactic. You can also share this information with your circle of influence.
A good chat and meaningful exchanges with the breeder are crucial in building rapport. You need this connection with the breeder to ensure that he is reliable and competent. You will gain information about the genuine characteristics of the parent breeds and offsprings.
The price of the Chihuahua Corgi mix dogs could range from $300 to $1000, based on their parent breeds’ prices. There is currently no available list of verified breeders for the Corgi Chihuahua Mix dogs. Below is a list of reputable breeders for the parent breeds:
- Pembroke Welsch Corgi Puppies by Breeder Ditto in Big Sandy, TX
- Trifecta Pembroke Welsch Corgis in Lexington, SC
- Outlands Corgis in Latah, WA
- Stone Prairie Puppies in Mount Vernon, MO
- Thompson’s Corgis in Stratford, WI
- ChiChi Babies Chihuahuas in Arkansas
- YankeeBelle Chihuahuas in Maine
- Lucas Chihuahuas in Mississippi
- Cathy’s Charming Chihuahuas in New York
- BonBon Chihuahuas in Texas
Searching the Internet and asking for advice from veterinarians about verified institutions for rescue can be productive as well.
Grooming Your Chihuahua Mixed with Corgi
The Corgi crossed with Chihuahua dogs need a moderate to average maintenance for grooming. They shed lightly to moderately, depending on the inherited maternal and paternal genes.
This mixed breed needs low-maintenance grooming. You may use a metal, medium-toothed comb for its coat once or twice each week. In combing the coat, make sure to take time in untangling knots in the coat. You should also remove the pup’s collar to smooth out the coat at the neck area.
Spring time means shedding that is heavier than usual for this crossbreed. During this period, you need to employ daily brushing and combing to ensure the shine and smoothness of the coat. Brushing will be done first then combing comes after.
You will need to give this dog a bath when it is visibly dirty or smelly. The dog needs shampoo and conditioner with neutral pH ingredients such as aloe and oatmeal.
Frequent bathing is not needed for the Corgi Chihuahua mix dogs. It can help facilitate a smoother shedding process. You will need a dog-friendly shampoo formula and a soft towel. The shampoo will be used, ensuring enough lathering on the skin. During days with cold weather, I recommend the use of a hair dryer set on the lowest mode to dry the dog’s skin more efficiently.
The crevices of the small parts of this dog needs to be checked regularly. There is an increased risk of infections for small spaces in the dog’s body. Wax buildup in the ears must be monitored, and signs of an ear infection should be detected early on the grooming process. To prevent the aggravation of symptoms, use a cotton ball and a dog-specific ear solution for cleaning the ears. You should never use a cotton swab for their ears.
You should avoid tartar buildup in the Chihuahua Corgis’ teeth by using a pet toothbrush and toothpaste at least once a week. This maintenance will help keep the gums strong and avoid getting bad breath.
You can contact professional groomers around your neighborhood or near the city to help you maintain an effective grooming routine. Your dog’s physical appearance and possible defects must be monitored in a regular basis. This will lead ultimately to the improvement of the dog’s health.
Corgi Chihuahua Mix Health Problems
The Chihuahua crossed with Corgi dog has a life expectancy of 12 to 14 years. Random selection plays a vital role in designating the vulnerabilities and strengths of the crossbreeds. Breeders cannot be 100% certain that the future generation of crossbreeds will inherit the better part of the parents’ genes.
There will be instances that the maternal genes will manifest more than the parental genes. This possibility should alarm you and guide you in prioritizing the health of your crossbreed. Here’s a list of some of the common health issues seen in a cross between a Chihuahua and a Corgi:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Skin problems
- Patellar luxation
- Tracheal collapse
- Eye diseases
I advise that you consult with a veterinarian regarding vaccination as a way of primary prevention of diseases. You can increase the immunity of your pet against measles, rabies, and DHPP which is the combination of vaccines for hepatitis, parainfluenza, distemper, adenovirus, and parvovirus.
As you watch your dog grow up, you need to be aware of these diseases and their symptoms. Your knowledge can help greatly in preventing the development of complications. Your dog deserves attention, especially when it comes to health problems.
Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua Food Requirements
Getting through the dog’s daily activity highlights the importance of adequate nutrition. The adequate nutrition depends on the quantity and quality of the meals. The genetic predisposition, weight, size, and physical activity level of the dog determine the amount of food it needs. The general amount of food suitable for an adult Chihuahua Corgi mix dog may vary from 1/2 cup to 1 cups of high-quality kibbles. It is advisable to divide the food servings into two meals each day. Compared to wet dog food, dry food formulation contributes to the cleanliness and strength of the puppy’s teeth and gums.
Below is a list of the recommended dry food for the Chihuahua crossed with Corgi dogs.
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Reduced Fat: This dog food encourages the maintenance of healthy weight for this crossbreed. Its Corgi parent breed increases its risk for becoming overweight and obese. It contains ingredients to ensure the health of the immune system, the integument, the teeth and gums, and the digestive system. It is 100% free of grains, making this formulation more suitable for dogs with sensitive appetite.
- Nutrisource Sm/Med Breed Dry Puppy Food: This rice and chicken dog food formulation has bite-size shapes for easier feeding and digestion. It has a comprehensive supplement system that prevents diarrhea and boosts the immune system. It consists of 32% crude protein, 21% crude fat, and 5% crude fiber. It has iron, copper, manganese, and zinc which are essential for the dog’s growth and development.
- Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food by Nature’s Variety: This dry food features the first raw boosted dog meal. It contains a balanced nutrition for various sizes of dogs. It has real chicken, beef, or lamb varieties.
- CANIDAE All Life Stages Dog Dry Food: This formulation contains high levels of lamb, fish, turkey, and chicken. It also has antioxidants, probiotics, and healthy fatty acids. It is devoid of soy and wheat.
You need to watch out for this crossbreed’s weight. Uncontrolled weight gain could cause structural deformities and body pains for the dog. Providing dog food that does not have grains and contains less fat is the best diet plan to avoid obesity.
Don’t forget that besides the unconditional love that your pooch gets from you, their nutrition is equally important. For your dog’s excellent health, always opt for the best dry dog food brands you can find on the market, as well as Wellness Core Dog Food, Dog For Dog Food, or Nutra Thrive dog food supplement. Inform yourself properly before purchasing their food, and avoid anything you can find on the worst dry dog food list. If you want to see your puppy strong, happy, and healthy, consider some of the best puppy food brands while senior dog owners have the best senior dry dog food at their disposal.
Your hairy friend is a descendant of two gorgeous parents, who can sometimes differ a lot from one another. This means that your pooch can develop a propensity for various food types and you can test their taste with best dry dog food for small dogs or best large breed dry dog food, too. Just make sure to ask your vet for advice first!
Chihuahua Crossed with Corgi Exercise Requirements
Getting a Chihuahua crossed with Corgi dog entails engaging it to a moderate level of physical activity. There needs to be enough mental and physical stimulation to avoid boredom. The duration of physical activity should be at least 30 minutes.
The happiness of the dog will rise with adequate and regular exercise because it triggers the production of the “happy hormones”. You can engage the dog to physical activities such as walking and fetching.
You may opt to bring the dog outside. The Kurgo’s No Pull Dog Harness will come in handy during walk sessions. It helps protect the trachea of this small dog and support the body of the dog.
You may opt to conduct indoor exercises for the dog as well. The durable IRIS 24″ 4-Panel Pet Playpen is a low-budget and spacious playpen to keep the dog from escaping the house. It comes in a variety of colors and folds easily for better storage. It is portable and easy to assemble.
You can help trigger the happy hormones by using the Leaps & Bounds Chomp and Chew Latex Penguin Dog Toy. This toy keeps the dog preoccupied and helps expend the dog’s energy efficiently. It has a squeaker that will make the fetching activity more fun for the Corgi crossed with Chihuahua dog.
Chihuahua Corgi Mix Training
The Corgi crossed with Chihuahua dogs are compliant, dutiful, and brilliant. Training will be necessary to allow the dog to achieve its best behavior. Here are three tips on training the Chihuahua Corgis:
- Early Socialization: The pup will grow to become more confident in dealing with external forces and people. This process will improve its chances in becoming therapy dogs, herders, or therapy dogs. The recommended initiation of the socialization is around 2 1/2 weeks. This period involves the interaction of the owner and the dog through gentle touches and lifting. The process progresses to the next stage that happens during the four weeks of age to 16 weeks of age. This stage consists of walking through different textures, smell, and people around the neighborhood.
- Leash Training: This is an important part of obedience training, especially when you go around the neighborhood during walking exercises. The initial step involves allowing the dog to freely roam around the area. You will then start directing the crossbreed in a certain direction with a gentle tug on the leash.
- Positive Rewards-based System: An integral part of training is the reward for doing the activity. This training technique mainly involved pet treats, encouraging words, and physical affection. It ensures the intimate bond between the dog and the owner. It helps the dog see the owner as an affectionate figure of authority.
- Use simple commands: The obedience training for this crossbreed involves using monosyllabic words for easier understanding. These words include ‘sit’, ‘stay’, ‘no’ and ‘stop’. Their intelligence will make the training run more smoothly.
If you have doubts on the training techniques or if you are experiencing some trouble during the training session, there are professional dog trainers available for consultation and services.
Corgi Mixed with Chihuahua and Families
The Corgi Chihuahua Mix dogs have an excellent rapport with children. These adorable pups make fantastic pets as they inherit the friendliness and affectionate nature of their parent breeds. As with other dog breeds, I advise you to monitor the dog-child interactions.
Early socialization, one component of the training, will play a vital role in the social growth of the Chihuahua crossed with Corgi pup. You must help the kids learn how to approach the dog in a friendly manner as well.
Corgi mixed with Chihuahua pups are loving to families. They possess a good-natured temperament, and they love spending time around people. It is not ideal to leave the dog alone for a long time because they often crave attention. You could ask someone to take care your dog or you can drop off your dog at a pet daycare facility if you are planning to be away for a trip.
- Oyake, Kanae, et al. “Changes in Respiratory Function in Pembroke Welsh Corgi Dogs with Degenerative Myelopathy.” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 78, no. 8, 24 Apr. 2016, pp. 1323–1327., doi:10.1292/jvms.15-0521.
- Kiviranta, A.-M., et al. “Syringomyelia and Craniocervical Junction Abnormalities in Chihuahuas.” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, 11 Sept. 2017, pp. 1771–1781., doi:10.1111/jvim.14826.
- Harper, Deborah S. Pembroke Welsh Corgi: An Owners Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pet. Howell, 1999.
- Wilcox, Charlotte. The Chihuahua. Capstone High/Low Books, 1999.