41+ Australian Shepherd Mix Breeds
Husky Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussiesky
- The Australian Shepherd Husky Mix is a first-generation crossbreed. This means its history is still being created.
- The Australian Shepherd is intelligent, responsible, and energetic. The other parent breed – the Siberian Husky is also smart and energetic just like the Australian Shepherd. This dog is family-oriented.
- High levels of energy and intelligence most likely will be the two traits that your Husky Australian Shepherd Mix will have since both the parent breeds possess these characteristics. If your Aussiesky Crossbreed takes after the Husky parent, you can expect it to be family-oriented as well.
- Your Australian Shepherd mixed with Husky will have thick fur. This will require you to provide your pup with daily brushing.
Learn more about a day in the life of owning a Husky Australian Shepherd Mix.
Corgi Australian Shepherd Mix = Australian Corgi
- It is believed that the Australian Corgi Mix is a derivation of the Flemish spitz-type and Swedish Vallhund dogs way back in the 11th century.
- The Mix of Australian Corgi was developed for cattle and sheep herding. These dogs were low enough to nip at the livestock’s heels and were agile enough to run away once the animals start kicking in defense quickly.
- The Australian Corgi Crossbreed shows a slight reservation towards strangers and unfamiliar animals. Give it sufficient training and socialization, and it will grow to be a friendly dog to everyone.
- These dogs are typically polite towards other household animals, but if someone or something tries to move quickly as if it is running away, the Australian Corgi will chase it and try to herd it. This is because of its herding nature.
Learn more about the Australian Shepherd Corgi mix.
German Shepherd Australian Shepherd Mix = German Aussie
- A well-bred Australian Shepherd German Mix will result in an intelligent, athletically inclined dog with a strong work drive. This will make it be either a good home pet, therapy companion, as well as a police and military dog.
- The size of the German Shepherd Australian Shepherd Mix can vary between medium and large. It will have a slightly rectangular silhouette in its skin.
- If the Australian Shepherd mixed with German Shepherd takes after the Australian Shepherd parent, the mixed breed will most likely have a missing or half tail.
- A German Shepherd Australian Shepherd Mix that takes after the German Shepherd side of the family will have a noticeable slop on its back.
Learn more about the Australian Shepherd German Shepherd Mix.
Golden Retriever Australian Shepherd Mix = Golden Aussie
- The Golden Retriever Australian Shepherd Mix has an athletic build with downturned ears and a long snout.
- The Australian Shepherd Golden Retriever Mix has lots of energy for playtime, especially during its puppy stage. It is also a loyal companion to its masters.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with Golden Retriever is strong overall health, but this breed has a history of having eye conditions, elbow and hip dysplasia, and epilepsy.
- Frequent brushing is required to maintain the luscious and bountiful coat of the Australian Shepherd mixed with Golden Retriever.
- You need to invest in the obedience classes of your Golden Retriever mixed with Australian Shepherd because this breed has been known to outsmart its owner frequently.
Learn more about the Golden Retriever Australian Shepherd mix.
Labrador Australian Shepherd Mix = Labraussie
- Labradors and Australian Shepherds are both medium-sized dogs. Both can grow up to 23 inches tall. The Australian Shepherd Labrador Mix will surely be on the medium size as well, and there is a potential for the dog to become bigger depending on the exact size measurements of the parent breeds.
- Both Australian Shepherds and Labradors have coats that were meant for harsh weather. You can expect your Labrador Australian Shepherd Mix to have thick fur as well with a warm undercoat.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with Labrador is a new race of dogs created from two Merle genes. This can lead to deafness and eye illnesses.
- Whether or not the Labrador mixed with Australian Shepherd takes after the Labrador or Australian Shepherd bloodline, the dog will still be prone to frequent shedding. This will require you to give it a brushing at least once a week.
Learn more about the Australian Shepherd Labrador mix.
Bernese Mountain Dog Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Bernese
- The Australian Shepherd has lots of background in herding while the Bernese Mountain Dog is known for being a great family protector. This means your Australian Shepherd Bernese Mountain Dog Mix will be a sweet and loving house pet, as well as a magnificent guard dog at home.
- The Bernese Mountain Dog Australian Shepherd Mix has lots of grooming requirements. This dog is known for having lots of furs. You need to brush the coat at least twice a week to keep it shiny and to aid the shedding.
- You need to provide one hour of long walks each day or a game of frisbee. This will help keep the dog’s energy down.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with Bernese Mountain Dog is an intelligent dog that loves physical challenges. One thing you can do to keep this breed mentally and physically stimulated is to bring it with you as you go for a morning jog or play sports with your friends.
Learn more about the Bernese Mountain Dog Australian Shepherd mix.
Blue Heeler Australian Shepherd Mix = Blue Shepherd
- Blue Heeler Australian Shepherd Hybrids do not require an elaborate grooming routine. Because of its short and sparse coat, you will only need to brush its fur weekly. They also just shed in moderate amounts. You will only have to be concerned about keeping their hair untangled.
- Blue Heeler Australian Shepherd Hybrids are highly intelligent. This trait makes the dog quite enjoyable to train. They love learning new things and exploring new challenges. You will not have a hard time teaching them. Just keep in mind to do it at a young age and apply positive reinforcement so that they learn well.
- Blue Heeler Australian Shepherd Hybrids are very protective. The breed is very affectionate to its owner and family. It can serve as a guard dog and protect you and your family with its life. They will only ever bark and true intruders and strangers that they believe are harmful to you.
Learn more about the Blue Heeler Australian Shepherd Mix.
Poodle Australian Shepherd Mix
- The Australian Shepherd Poodle Mix is often recognized as the perfect family dog because it is equipped with both beauty and brains.
- The exact origin of the Poodle Australian Shepherd Mix is still unknown, but its parent’s breeds – the Australian Shepherd and Poodle have a pretty fascinating history which eventually led to the intelligence and all-around cuteness of the Australian Shepherd mixed with Poodle.
- The Australian Shepherd is most happy when it is given a job to do. This all-American dog earned the title “cowboy’s best friend” for its wits and ranching skills.
- The Poodle was originally bred to hunt ducks. The reason for the poodle’s fancy haircut was that it had to swim through harsh water conditions. Eventually, this dog became better known as the French house pet.
- The smarts and cuteness are two traits that are embedded in the genes of both the Australian Shepherd and Poodle which you will surely find your Poodle mixed with Australian Shepherd as well.
Learn more about the Poodle Australian Shepherd Mix.
Pitbull Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Pitbull
- The Australian Shepherd Pitbull Mix is a medium-sized dog that can grow to the height of as much as 23 inches and can weigh up to 75 pounds.
- The Pitbull Australian Shepherd Mix responds well to positive reinforcement. This means when you train your Australian Shepherd mixed with Pitbull you should give it treats and praises whenever it does a good job.
- The Pitbull mixed with an Australian Shepherd is a sweet and friendly dog towards its owner, but it can come off as aggressive to unfamiliar people. Expose your dog to socialization at a young age to help it become adept to new people and other animals it lives with.
- The best way to feed this dog is through raw food. You might also want to accompany this diet with frequent exercise. This will help keep your dog from getting overweight.
Learn more about the Australian Shepherd Pitbull mix.
Boxer Australian Shepherd Mix = Australian Boxer
- The Australian Shepherd Boxer Mix is a medium-sized breed that is often seen sporting smooth fur. The color of its coat is usually chocolate, brown, gold, speckled, brindle, and spotted with black and white.
- The Boxer Australian Shepherd Mix is playful, smart, loyal, and energetic. It is also quite patient with children. This breed also has a confident demeanor and does its best to live up its name as the family protector.
- The requirements for the maintenance of the Australian Shepherd mixed with Boxer are moderate. It only needs bathing when necessary such as the case when this type of dog had just gotten dirty from playing in the mud.
- This dog is easy to train because aside from being a smart puppy, it is also obedient to its master.
Beagle Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Beagle
- One astounding trivia about the Australian Shepherd Beagle Mix is that it has a ton of fame and talent within its genes. Charlie Brown Comic Book Character Snoopy is a Beagle. Hyper Hank is also an Australian Shepherd who is known as a talented frisbee performer.
- A Beagle Australian Shepherd Mix that takes after the genes of its Beagle parent will be short with thick hair. If the dog inherits the Australian Shepherd side of the family, the Australian Shepherd mixed with Beagle will most likely have beautiful fur.
- The Beagle mixed with Australian Shepherd can be expected to grow into a medium-sized dog of 13-20 inches and 20-60 pounds.
- Both the Beagle and Australian Shepherd are energetic breeds. The Australian Shepherd Beagle Mix is expected to have those traits as well. This means you need to invest time in lots of training and exercise for your dog.
Chihuahua Australian Shepherd Mix = Chiaussie
- The Australian Shepherd Chihuahua Mix is hard to come by because the breeding of a merle Chihuahua with an Australian Shepherd is discouraged. If you still want to pursue getting a Chihuahua Australian Shepherd Mix, you will have a good chance of doing so by going to a rescue shelter.
- The Chihuahua usually have a more dominant gene compared to other dogs. This leaves you with a decent possibility of having Australian Shepherd mixed with Chihuahua that closely resembles an average to medium-sized Chihuahua.
- You should take your Australian Shepherd mixed with Chihuahua to the vet at least every two months due to the high chance of getting eye disease and deafness. These are common ailments that come with mixing merle genes along with other breeds.
- The Australian Shepherd Chihuahua Mix has a strong desire to be the center of attention. An hour of walking every day is needed to keep its high energy at bay.
Chow Chow Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Chow
- The Australian Shepherd Chow Chow Mix is a medium-energy dog. It is a good pet choice if you want someone you and your kids can play with that won’t make a lot of mess and mischief around the house.
- The Chow Chow parent breed of the Chow Chow Australian Shepherd Mix is known for frequent sheddings. It is a good idea to brush your dog’s coat at least twice a week.
- The Australian Shepherd Mixed with Chihuahua is breed tends to become protective of its family and its property.
- The Chow Chow mixed with Australian Shepherd Mix can sometimes inherit genetic diseases. It would be best to pay for the medicinal needs of the puppy to combat future problems.
- An Australian Shepherd mixed with Chow Chow will initially cost $300-$600. This price can rise to $700 including the medications, but this is a great deal considering you don’t have to worry about future health problems.
Border Collie Australian Shepherd Mix = Collie Aussie
- The American Canine Hybrid Club (ACHC), Dog Registry of America (DRA), Designer Dogs Kennel Club (DDKC), and the International Designer Canine Registry (IDCR) recognizes the Border Collie Australian Shepherd Mix as an official crossbreed.
- The Australian Shepherd Border Collie Mix will have more resemblance to its Border Collie parent compared to the Australian Aussie.
- The size of the Australian Shepherd mixed with Border Collie can vary between a medium and large dog. It will weigh somewhere between 30 to 80 pounds.
- The Border Collie mixed with Australian Shepherd is known to be an active and energetic dog.
- It is a relatively quiet dog and only barks when it senses danger or threat.
Dachshund Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Dachshund
- The Australian Shepherd Dachshund Mix has an obscure history. Theories have emerged that this breed was the result of an accident crossbreed in a rescue shelter.
- The Dachshund Australian Shepherd Mix can be quite aggressive towards unfamiliar faces. This is because this dog breed is courageous and protective of its herd.
- Most Australian Shepherd mixed with Dachshund is low maintenance but may require weekly brushing if the dog takes after the Australian Shepherd parent.
- Leash, housebreaking, and obedience training should be the priority during the puppy stages of the Dachshund mixed with Australian Shepherd.
- The Australian Shepherd Dachshund Mix is an intelligent dog that makes it easy to train under the hands of a firm and leader-oriented dog trainer.
Pug Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Pug
- The Australian Shepherd Pug Mix is an intelligent dog making it easy to train.
- It can come off as a bit standoffish towards unfamiliar guests so it would be best to expose it to a lot of socialization during its puppy stage.
- Both the Pug and Australian Shepherd shed a lot despite the Pug having short hair. This concludes that your Pug Australian Shepherd Mix will have normal shedding as well.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with Pug is an energetic dog. You need to take it to hikes and long walks to balance the dog’s energy levels. Too much energy can leave the dog bored if it has nothing to do. This can lead it to bite and chew on your things at home.
Cocker Spaniel Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Spaniel
- The Australian Shepherd Cocker Spaniel Mix can be a great family pet but needs socialization training during the puppy stage because they can get a bit aggressive with children and other animals.
- The eyes of the Cocker Spaniel Australian Shepherd Mix can either be in the color green or brown.
- There is no need for a lot of grooming routine for the Australian Shepherd Cocker Spaniel Mix, but you need to brush its coat twice a week because it sheds a lot.
- Although Australian Shepherd mixed with Cocker Spaniel is a friendly and sweet dog, it is also pretty intelligent. This means you need to have a firm hand in training to show it that you’re the boss.
American Bulldog Australian Shepherd Mix = American Aussie
- The American Bulldog Australian Shepherd Mix is a new breed. This means it doesn’t have a lot of documentation yet. Let’s look into the history of the American Bulldog and Australian Shepherd instead.
- The Australian Shepherd American Bulldog Mix was initially bred for blood sports. The Australian Aussie is not known for sports or hunting, but just the same, it is good at herding and detection of narcotics. You can also rely on it to be an adorable family pet and a guard dog!
- The American Bulldog mixed with Australian Shepherd has short ears and a long tail. This breed has sturdy built with a strong jaw and large head.
- The Australian Shepherd American Bulldog Mix will seize trespassers if necessary, but it will rarely bark if it sees unfamiliar faces.
Cane Corso Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Corso
- The Australian Shepherd Cane Corso Mix is a rare breed. Looking into the origins of its parent breeds, we came up with conclusions on how your dog mix will play out.
- The Australian Shepherd is a herding dog from the ranches of the Western United States. It is an agile dog that was used in rescue operations and Narcotics Detection. The Cane Corso is a reliable and intelligent guard dog from Italy. This breed makes an excellent family pet aside from being a guard dog, but it can come off as aggressive towards other people.
- The Cane Corso Australian Shepherd Mix can be expected to be an adorable family pet. It can also be one of the best pet guardians as taken from the traits and characteristics of its parent breeds.
- The Cane Corso parent has a history of digging out the soil in their homes. We suggest exposing your Australian Shepherd mixed with Cane Corso in lots of exercise and training to combat the possibility of your dog doing the same.
Shar Pei Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Pei
- The Australian Shepherd Shar-Pei Mix has a habit of taking on the Alpha role. The owner of this type of breed needs to have a firm in training to develop sufficient discipline.
- Positive reinforcement and socialization are necessary for the Shar-Pei Australian Shepherd Mix during its puppy stage. This will help combat its prey drive.
- We suggest you invest in a good vacuum to keep your floors clean because the Australian Shepherd mixed with Shar-Pei sheds a lot.
- You need to brush the Shar-Pei mixed with Australian Shepherd hair at least once a week. You also need to focus on the grooming of the Australian Shepherd Shar-Pei Mix wrinkles since this can be a bit difficult to maintain.
Akita Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Akita
- The Australian Shepherd Akita Mix was specially bred to be a guard dog. This breed is extremely alert and daring.
- It is recommended to build barriers around your house. Australian Shepherd mixed with Akita is known for frequent runaways.
- Your Akita Australian Shepherd Mix will have a smaller head in comparison to the original Akita, but its head is still a bit bigger than that of the German Shepherd. This breed has a double coat that comes in color variations such as black, gold, and brown.
- The male Australian Shepherd mixed with Akita can grow up to 25 inches while the female can have a maximum height of 24 inches. If you give this dog enough exercise until it reaches adulthood, it can have a life expectancy of 14 years.
English Bulldog Australian Shepherd Mix = English Aussie
- The English Bulldog Australian Shepherd Mix is a large breed. It has short and dense fur with moderate shedding. This will only require you once a week of brushing to aid in the shedding, as well as keep the hair shiny.
- The Australian Shepherd English Bulldog Mix has lots of energy. If you leave this dog to be bored, it can cause a mess and mischief. It would be best to engage the Australian Shepherd mixed with English Bulldog in lots of exercises. This will keep their levels of energy at bay.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with English Bulldog has a medium-sized muzzle and a long fur on its chest and neck. It has legs longer than its Bulldog parent.
- The English Bulldog mixed with Australian Shepherd cannot tolerate extreme weather, but it does do well in moderately cold and warm weather.
Great Pyrenees Australian Shepherd Mix = Great Pyreaussie
- The Great Pyrenees Australian Shepherd Mix is one of the newest breeds to date. We looked into the history of the Great Pyrenees and Australian Shepherd parents to give you a glimpse of what the Australian Shepherd Great Pyrenees Mix can end up to be like.
- The Australian Shepherd and Great Pyrenees are both herders of sheep and cattle. The Australian Shepherd is quite tough, but it is said that the Great Pyrenees isn’t a dog that can be relied on for protection.
- This means the Great Pyrenees mixed with Australian Shepherd will end up to be a large dog just like its Australian Shepherd and Great Pyrenees parents. This can scare off trespassers due to the size of the dog, but if it takes after the genes of the Great Pyrenees, the dog will only be good at alerting you during threats.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with the Great Pyrenees is an intelligent dog but is also stubborn. You need to keep a firm hand in training to keep the dog listening.
French Bulldog Australian Shepherd Mix = French Aussie
- The French Bulldog Australian Shepherd Mix is a new and rare breed. We need to look into the origins of both parent breeds to have a good idea of how your dog mix will be like.
- We know the Australian Shepherd to be a herding dog. It is most famous for its all-around cuteness and great potential as a guard dog. The French Bulldog is a lap dog from England. It once accompanied a group of French lacemakers. This was the beginning of its moniker as a French dog. It once took a role as a rat detector, but this breed has become better known as a show dog.
- This means your Australian Shepherd mixed with French Bulldog will make a great companion at home. It can also be an excellent watchdog because these breeds have a sharp bark.
- It might not be able to serve as a house guardian if takes after the genes of the French Bulldog parent.
Catahoula Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussiehoula
- The Catahoula is not a shy dog but is usually wary towards strangers whereas the Australian Shepherd is well-known for its extreme friendliness. Whatever genes your Australian Shepherd Catahoula Mix will take after, you will most likely get a sweet and loving dog. All it needs is a bit of positive reinforcement and socialization during its puppy stage.
- The Catahoula Australian Shepherd Mix is a pack dog. This means it can suffer from separation anxiety if left alone for a long time.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with Catahoula is an energetic dog. It needs ample space so the dog can run around and play instead.
- The Australian Shepherd mixed with Catahoula is known for having elbow and hip dysplasia when it becomes overweight. You need to feed your dog raw food to combat this illness.
Shih Tzu Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussie Tzu
- The Australian Shepherd Shih Tzu Mix has a round face, broad head, and small size of only 11 inches.
- The Shih Tzu Australian Shepherd Mix show signs of protectiveness over its owner, but due to its small size, it does not make a great guard dog.
- You cannot rely on it to jump on trespassers, but it has a loud bark that will wake you up when your Australian Shepherd Shih Tzu Mix senses a threat.
- Do not delay their training because it can lead to an aggressive and stubborn dog.
- You should feed it food that is high in nutrients sufficient for its intense energy level.
Doberman Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussiedob
- The Average lifespan of the Australian Shepherd Doberman is 10 to 13 years.
- The Australian Shepherd Doberman Mix has a smooth and beautiful coat which this breed takes after from both of its dog parents.
- The Doberman Australian Shepherd Mix has a strong personality. You need to have a firm hand when training it. You will need to invest lots of obedience classes for this dog since it can come off as stubborn at times.
- It is friendly. This means it can live with other pets. It also likes to bond with new people so it may not make a great guard dog.
Newfoundland Australian Shepherd Mix = Aussiefouland
- The Australian Shepherd Newfoundland Mix is an intensely energetic dog just like its Australian Shepherd parent. This dog will require long walks in the morning, which will keep its energy at bay preventing it from biting off of your stuff at home.
- The Newfoundland Australian Shepherd Mix is friendly yet alert. This makes it a good guard dog.
- If provide the Australian Shepherd mixed with Newfoundland with enough training it will grow to be a well-mannered dog. It is quite wary of strangers but knows how to behave when there are visitors.
- The Newfoundland mixed with Australian Shepherd is a heavy shedder. This requires you to give it daily baths and weekly brushing.
Australian Shepherd Mix Food Requirements
Australian Shepherd crosses come in a multitude of sizes. There is a difference between the nutrition needs of petite and grande doggos. Make sure you know your way through the best dry dog food for small dogs and the best large breed dry dog food as they can impact the dog’s overall vigor greatly.
No matter what Australian Shepherd mix you own or intend to get, it is crucial to opt for food rich in “superfoods,” like Wellness Core Dog Food or Dog For Dog Food.
Brands that offer the right ratio of fat, protein, and carbs are a good start for inexperienced owners. There is a vast difference between the best dry dog food and the worst dry dog food—the first will help your dog maintain their health, whereas the latter is full of artificial preservatives that can be harmful to your Australian Sheperd cross.
Making sure that your pup gets the necessary nutrients is not always easy. Consulting with the vet is the best way to determine whether your dog’s nutrition needs are met. If the pup is indeed lacking any of the essential vitamins and minerals, you should include food boosters such as Nutra Thrive dog food supplement that will help your Australian Shepherd combo stay in good health.
Either if you took in a young doggy or an older one, knowing the difference between best puppy food brands and best senior dry dog food will save you a bunch of time when picking the right meal for a dog of any age.
Check Out These Cuties
If you enjoyed this article, take a look at our extensive list of other dog breed mixes!
- Turnova, Evelina Hrckova, et al. “A Novel Mutation in the TYRP1 Gene Associated with Brown Coat Colour in the Australian Shepherd Dog Breed.” Animal Genetics, vol. 48, no. 5, 12 May 2017, pp. 626–626., doi:10.1111/age.12563.
- Schwartz, Charlotte. Australian Shepherd. Kennel Club Books, 2009.