It’s Doxie Travel Time!
Whether you have been traveling with your Dachshund for the first time or for many times now, you know how challenging it is to travel with your four-legged friend. But of course, it is all worth it. The feeling of traveling with your best friend is just a fun and unique experience.
So, today, we want to know, “How can you travel with your dachshund in a stress-free and convenient way?” That’s exactly what we will answer now.
Use a Dog Crate or Carriage
The best thing about Dachshund is that they are small and therefore, you can more easily take them with you. If you’re traveling by car, you can easily put him in the backseat. If you’re traveling by plane, the airline might allow you to bring your Doxie with you in the cabin.
Of course, if you want to successfully use a dog crate or carriage, make sure you train your dachshund to use it. Proper pet training should do the trick.
Desensitization and Conditioning
In most cases, you would find yourself traveling in a car. Whether you are going to the vet or you are going for a long ride, it would be a good idea to make sure your dog is comfortable in the vehicle.
So, how do you do it?
Generally, Dachshunds are an adventurous dog breed. You should not have a hard time bringing your pet along with you in a car. Not only that, but your Dachshund might even enjoy sticking his head out of the window.
But what do you do if your Doxie doesn’t want to go?
The first things you can do are desensitization and conditioning. It is the process of making your dog comfortable inside the car.
You can do this by bringing your Doxie’s favorite blanket, toy, or crate with him. You can also bring your Dachshund near the car first and let him explore it.
If you think he is comfortable being around the car, you can then bring him inside. Finally, try to take your Dachshund for a short ride and gradually increase the duration until your dog feels comfortable.
Things to Keep in Mind
When traveling with your Dachshund, it would be good to know a few tips to ensure you and your dachshund would have a pleasurable trip.
- To avoid motion sickness, don’t feed your dachshund a few hours before you leave.
- Think of safety first. Make sure no choking hazards are inside your pet’s crate. Use the seat belt to keep the crate in place.
- If you’re traveling by plane, check with the airline’s rules and regulations when it comes to traveling with your Dachshund. You don’t want to change plans at the last minute just because you are doing something against the rules of the airline.
- If you’re staying in a hotel, call the management in advance and know their policies when it comes to pets.
- Bring your dog’s medical certificates, vaccination documents, and other similar records just in case they are required.
- When traveling by land, take a break every 2-3 hours. Bring your Dachshund out of the crate and let him get some fresh air to stretch a little bit. Bathroom breaks would also be important for your pet.
- If all else fails, you can consider using medication or sedative as prescribed by your vet.
Get expert advice
When it comes to traveling with your Doxie, you want to make sure that all things would go according to plan. To minimize uncontrollable things to happen, speak to your veterinarian. You can also ask your friends or people you might know who have experienced traveling with dogs. By doing so, you will get expert advice on the best way to travel with your Dachshund.
What are your best tips for traveling with your Doxie? Tell us in the comments below!