With numerous supplements available for your dog, finding the perfect supplement can be difficult. While these supplements have different ingredients, one confusing ingredient is fish oil. Fish oil could be a mixture of various oils gotten from salmon, sardines, cod-liver oil, mackerel, etc. If your goal is to get an optimal transparency and traceability regarding the health supplement of your dog, you need to stick to a specific product. Salmon oil is a preferable choice to depend on.
What is Salmon Oil?
Salmon oil is an incredible supplement that is beneficial to human beings as well as dogs. However, before recommending it for your dog, you need to know certain things about salmon oil concerning your dog’s health. You can get salmon oil from salmon, which is taken as a supplement due to its rich content in Omega-3s. It has high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids such as DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). These two acids are essential and have great benefits when used as a supplement in most diets. It is also beneficial for our four-legged friends (dogs). Your dog can reap some health benefits through salmon oil. Just as a doctor may recommend consuming a fish oil supplement, your dog also needs salmon oil because it helps in improving their overall health.
Health benefits of Salmon oil for dogs
We at Alpha Paw believe that your dog deserves the best dog supplement. Our Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil can give you the best supplement for your dogs. However, we will explain some benefits of salmon oil for your dogs. From their bones to their brains, salmon oil, which has omega-3s, can cure different conditions. Giving your dog this supplement can help to:
- Fights Inflammation – Omega-3s content in salmon oil helps in reducing inflammation via the dog’s body from itchy skin and gastritis to painful and inflamed joints
- Cure or prevent skin allergies – Salmon oil is the answer to the cries of different dog breeds such as Jack Russell’s and Golden Retrievers because they are prone to allergies and skin conditions. However, the supplement helps in building a strong cell barrier, which prevents reactions when they come in contain with allergens such as grass, pollen, or dust.
- Maintains shiny and soft coats – Salmon oil is helpful in balancing skin moisture. It furthers helps in building a healthy skin, which makes shiny and soft coats.
- Helps in the growth and maintenance of cognitive function – This benefit is true for all dogs irrespective of their age. However, for puppies, it plays a significant role in brain development.
- Improves overall health condition – Both acids in Omega-3s helps in maintaining their liver, kidney, and heart function. From the tip of their nose to the tail, the oil supports the overall health condition of dogs.
- Fights against cancer – Salmon oil according to latest research helps in preventing cancer, including slowing down the growth of cancer cell as soon as it starts spreading. It definitely helps with situations triggered by cancer like cachexia.
- Sustain a strong immune system – Through the prevention of conditions such as inflammation and allergies, your dog doesn’t need to waste energy fighting against such conditions.
Is Omega-3s essential for Dogs?
Most dog foods contain a high level of omega-6 with less amount of omega-3s. In as much as Omega-6 contains health benefits for dogs, if the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is off, then inflammation may occur. Nevertheless, the current consensus is that the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 should between 5:1 and 10:1. If this ratio is lower, your dog risks developing conditions associated with omega-3 insufficiency.
Side effects of Salmon Oil for Dogs
While we have listed the tremendous benefits of salmon oil for your dog, it is important to note that not all dogs react well to it. Therefore, it is crucial to note that some dogs have side effects, which you must be aware. Without further ado, let us look at these side effects.
- Bad breath (this can be resolved by ensuring you clean their teeth frequently)
- Weight gain (this is manageable to a certain extent by regular exercise)
- Diarrhea and loose stool
Is Fish Oil and Salmon Oil for Dogs the same?
The fact that both fish oil and salmon oil has the essential fatty acids (DHA and EPA) isn’t sufficient to justify that they are the same. For instance, salmon oil is produced from some parts of salmon and is cold pressed under low temperatures. This ensures that the oil extracted from it sustains a high concentration of fatty acids.
On the other hand, the fish oil made for the consumption of pets are produced from different marine animals like anchovies, herring, krill, mackerel, and sardines. At times, some manufacturers supplement the fish oil with oil like evening primrose, wheat germ, and sunflower. Unlike the salmon oil that is cold pressed, the fish oil is boiled. During the boiling of the fish oil, key essential fatty acids get lost. This results in a lower concentration of omega-3s whereas the salmon oil has a high concentration.
How to administer salmon oil to dogs
You can add Alpha Paw Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil directly to your dog’s food or use our Alpha Paw Omega Chews as a treat. Please ensure to check the expiration date and adhere to the recommended dosage.