Pug Corgi Mix Facts
The Pug Corgi mix is a hybrid mix of two small-sized kinds, the Pug and the Welsh Corgi. The Welsh Corgi family can either be a bloodline of the Cardigan or Pembroke, and both deemed different breeds. The pug which derives from China is a progeny of the Mastiff family. Despite his low-to-the-ground look, the Welsh Corgi is one of the herding dog types, while the pug is more of a companion dog. The traits of both parents are friendly and playful, which the Corgi Pug inherited. An affectionate family companion, the Pug Corgi, has a low tendency for barking unless there is a need to sound the alarm.
Both parents both having traits like intelligence, happiness, loyal, and fun-loving which makes the pug corgi a great pet.
Table of Contents
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Corgi Pug
- It hates to be alone. This type of dog is more of the affectionate kind and leaving them alone may lead to serious health concerns. Corgi Pug tends to develop separation anxiety, and because of this, them being alone is a big no.
- It tends to bark excessively. If the corgi pug was left alone or is bored, expect it to cry too much. With its size, it is surprising how this dog barks a lot compared to other small dogs. Other factors that can trigger this hybrid dog to growl too much is if they feel that they threatened or in immediate danger.
- Grooming and Shedding issues. Apparently, with both of the parent dogs have coats that frequently shed, there is no point of avoiding potential allergen risks and hair dropping. They are not hypoallergenic dogs, so if there is a family member who’s not great in handling fur, then this is not the one for you.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get A Pug Mixed With Corgi
- An Amazing companion. The pug mixed with Corgi is an affectionate and loving dog. It’ll make sure to stick with you and expect them to want cuddles and attention. They are great companion dogs, so there’ll never be a dull moment with them. Aside from this, they are very loyal.
- Easy to train. Porgi’s as some call them came from parents who are intelligent and smart. Training this hybrid dog is not that hard. However, take note that approaching this dog should be firmly and kindly so that their talents will shine out.
- Very sociable especially to kids. As per legend, Corgi’s a gift from a fairy to help the people protect its children and farms. It’s no wonder that pug mixed with corgi is suitable for children and very affectionate. They are pretty much amicable with everyone.
Other Corgi & Pug Mixes
Picking the breed of dog that aligns with your lifestyle is extremely important. Every year tens of thousands of dogs are put up for adoption because the owner didn’t do their research.
Not sure the Pug Corgi aligns with your lifestyle? Consider adopting one of 50+ popular Corgi mix or Pug huskey mix facts.
My personal favorites are the Husky Corgi or the Corgi Bernese Mountain Dog because they are so cute, but do your research and check out the mixes below.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Corgi Crossed with Pug
|Weight||weight can vary from 18-30 pounds|
|Height||10 to 13 inches|
|Coat Type||Dense, short and straight|
|Coat Color||Depending on the mix, color possibilities are black, fawn, sable, and red.|
|Amount of Shedding||Heavy|
|Eyes||Dark, round eyes|
|Temperament||Moderate energy, affectionate, moderately sensitive, friendly and welcoming, intelligent.|
|Life Expectancy||10 to 15 years|
|New Owner Friendly||Yes|
|Breed Recognition||Dog Registry of America, Inc. (DRA)|
A companion dog, the Corgi, crossed with a pug, is an affectionate dog, especially towards children. They are very loyal and always requires attention. It doesn’t want to be left out of the moment for they are moderately sensitive dogs. If you are going to leave them for a long time, they will end up in developing separation anxiety or develop bad habits.
They are very welcoming and friendly when it comes to strangers. However, this hybrid though usually calm will bark and alarm the family whenever they feel threatened, in danger or at a stranger until familiar. The Corgi Pug would adjust better to different situations if acquainted at an early age to people, places, other animals, and dogs.
The Corgi crossed with Pug, is an intelligent dog. That’s why training them is not that hard as long as you approach them with a firm yet kind hand. They can be stubborn if not taught properly. The Pug mixed with Corgi also has a quick response to things and strong willpower. It’s lovely to have this kind of dog around for they are not the aggressive and violent type of dogs.
Pug Crossed with Corgi Puppies for Sale
Pug crossed with Corgi sure is an excellent addition to the family. With their sunny disposition and affectionate nature, corgi crossed with a pug is indeed one adorable dog to have. With good lineage from pug and corgi which means inheriting the good and likable traits, it also means that they can have negative and weak qualities.
Though in general, you can consider hybrid dogs to be healthier comparing it to its pure breed parents. They are not invincible, making them prone to some of the common diseases that usually affects the original dogs. You can avoid issues like these by being careful if you are looking for mixed puppies like the Corgi Pug crossbreed that is for sale.
If you are going to buy a corgi mixed with pug puppies, make sure to buy it from a reputable breeder. They have the proper documentation to prove the legitimacy of this hybrid pup. Ask for records of their dog’s medical history. Since this is not that popular as of the moment, the rarity may mean a higher price.
Here are some sites that you can check if you are looking for a corgi mixed with pug breed:
If you don’t have enough money to spend on this lovely hybrid dog, adoption is always an option. You can check sites like www.adoptapet.com and www.petfinder.com or check your nearest local shelter for any Corgi Pug mix that is waiting for someone to love them and give them a happy home.
Here are some rescue groups that you can call:
Pembroke Welsh Corgi Rescue
North Texas Pembroke Welsch Corgi
Faerydog Corgi Rescue in Graham, Texas
Southeast Corgi Rescue in NC and SC
Grooming Your Corgi Mixed with Pug
The Pug Corgi sheds heavily and is not a hypoallergenic dog, an attribute taken from its parents. It is required to brush daily the corgi pug’s coat to remove the dead or loose hair and because of the short hair, cleaning it will help in removing dirt and debris from its fur.
Cleaning the ear regularly using an approved solution from the vet can help in avoiding ear infections and brushing the dog’s teeth at least twice a week can help prevent any dental disease keeping the pug mixed with corgi’s mouth clean. The Pug Corgi does not drool much and to avoid any dog odor that may arise is to keep his mouth and coat clean, though the Corgi Pug is not known to smell.
Corgi Pug Mixed Health Problems
Though considered to be healthy in general, the Corgi Pug Mixed can be susceptible to the diseases that both affect the pug and the corgi like:
- Brachycephaly. Since this breed is flat-faced thanks to its pug parent, pug corgi mixed can suffer from the Bradycephalic Airway Syndrome. It is because the flat face disturbs the nasal cavity of the dog causing it to compress which leads to difficulty in breathing. Hot weather or exercise can trigger this condition since the corgi mixed with pug has an intolerance for both. If untreated, this can lead to a severe case called laryngeal collapse which requires veterinary attention due to the worsening state of the dog’s breathing problem.
- Dwarfism. Another structural issue present in the pug corgi mix is a condition called Achondroplasia, referring to the shortened legs. Though many people find this attribute cute, it can put the hybrid dog at a higher risk of back and joint problems.
Because of the said condition, the dog can also suffer conditions such as hip and elbow dysplasia and developmental disorders wherein the joints do not correctly develop which causes the early onset of arthritis.
Another issue that comes to this condition is the Intervertebral disc disease, where the discs in the dog’s back herniate or rupture which can be very painful. If the situation develops into something severe, it may lead to paralysis.
- Eye Problems. The Pug Corgi mix can also acquire glaucoma and cataracts which eventually can lead to blindness if no proper medical intervention made.
- Minor Concerns: Other health issues that you should also be aware of is the Bladder stones, Patellar Luxation, and Von Willebrand’s Disease.
As with most dogs, another problem that you need to watch out is obesity, mainly because the major health concerns of this mixed dog are problems with joints and airway issues.
Pug Crossed with Corgi Food Requirements
The quality and the amount of food that you will provide to your dog will have a significant influence on its life. Providing nutritious food can result in a healthy dog. Since the Corgi mixed with a pug is a small type of dog, one cup per day is ideal. Though both parents love to eat, the Corgi Pug is not different.
You can leave them to free feed until the pup is three months old. Once it is over that age, switching to two meals per day of high-quality dry dog food that is appropriate for its age is enough.
Since the pug and corgi require excellent food, mostly grain free and single-protein source diet is the best option for your pup. Here are some of the recommended food that you can buy:
- Orijen Adult Dry: It consists of whole meat products with no preservatives added. Mostly based on protein, this recipe also contains carbohydrates which are ideal for this mixed corgi breed. Aside from needing a variety of nutrients for their energy, there are also some fats and protein which is perfect for supporting their bones and maintaining their weight.
- Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free: Known for being an all-natural product, Wellness Core is one of the recommended brands that focus on protein nutrition. Since pug mixed with corgi is prone to allergies, this is an excellent choice, because it does not contain fillers, preservatives, corn, soy, gluten, and wheat, which is easy on the digestive system.
- This formula also has the right amount of probiotics, antioxidants, and prebiotics that can provide a consistency perfect for your dog’s nutrition. The recipe was created to support the five signs of Wellness that includes: Dental, a healthy coat, and skin, strong immune system and digestive health.
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Natural: This product is 100% poultry-free which contains natural products without the help of fillers. It is filled with six natural ingredients which serve specific purposes benefiting for pug corgi nutrition.
The said ingredients are ground white rice, natural chicken flavoring, brown rice, lamb, poultry fat and beet pulp. Aside from the protein and prebiotics that this dog food has, it also contains B vitamins and carbohydrates which can help your dog with its a busy lifestyle.
If dog’s health is just as important as your own, you’ll like our suggestions for best dry dog food, that you may also find in Wellness Core Dog Food, Dog For Dog Food, or Nutra Thrive dog food supplement. Don’t consider adding the worst dry dog food into your shopping cart. If your pooch is still a baby, it’s useful to have the best puppy food brands in mind. Senior, gray-coated dogs require food that will satisfy their nutritional needs. Their diet should be well-rounded so it’s best to stick to the best senior dry dog food brands.
Your pooch takes genes from two sides, at times highly different parents. This means you could also take into account buying the best dry dog food for small dogs or best large breed dry dog food. Always check with your vet if it’s ok to change your dog’s diet completely.
Pug Mixed With Corgi Exercise Requirements
The Pug mixed with Corgi needs daily exercise because of the medium energy level this dog displays. The same is true with the parent breeds of the Corgi Pug so that the energy level will not vary that is why an exercise is needed. The hybrid dog can live and adapt well in a condo or apartment living as long as you give the required daily activity. You can train the corgi pug within the confines of your home.
Large spaces are not necessary for this hybrid dog to run around, a small background for it to play and explore is quite enough. If you take your dog to the park to socialize with the other dogs is also another great way to get your pug crossed with corgi the extra outdoor time plus an excellent way to get some fresh air too.
Given the additional exercise and playtime can help you and your pug corgi to strengthen your bond and keep its mind well-stimulated. However, please take into consideration that the hybrid dog is not resilient when it comes to the weather condition. So, the corgi pug cannot tolerate extreme weather conditions and exposing them to this kind of temperature is not healthy for your dog.
Your Porgi is an intelligent dog, and keeping them entertained and mentally active can help them in showcasing their traits. This hybrid dog, if not occupied, will sure to destroy things in the house within its reach.
Here are some puzzles or toys that you can buy that’ll help with the activities for your dog:
- Clever Pet. An interactive feeder considered to be the world’s first gaming console for dogs. You can program the hub using your mobile phone with an app and select a variety of color-based puzzles. If your pet chooses the right answer produces a treat for them, making them motivated to be the master of the game while you are away. Though a bit pricey, it is worth to consider getting a Clever Pet. If the Corgi Pug is not into it, you can expect a 100% money-back guarantee from the manufacturer.
- iFetch Frenzy. An interactive gravity-driven toy which is suitable for small to medium sized dogs. The iFetch Frenzy does not require any batteries or electricity comparing to iFetch and iFetch too, which is a little bit expensive. With the iFecth Frenzy, your dog will only drop the ball into the top and will roll out in a random direction from the base, keeping your dog entertained and happy.
- Outward Hound Hide-a-Squirrel Puzzle toy. One of the few toys that don’t give food as a reward, the Outward Hound Puzzle toy is great for those dogs who are leaning into the chubby side and need to burn those calories down. Your Pug mixed with Corgi will love this with its squeaky plush toys that resemble a squirrel. It uses a combination of shapes, sounds, and textures to keep your pup entertained. All you need is to stuff the plushies into the tree trunk and watch it go crazy in trying to pull them out.
With the Pug Corgi being a bit sensitive and has a tendency to get bored quickly, these toys can help them divert their attention to other stuff and instead keep the dog interested in other things like playing.
Pug Corgi Mix Training
The Corgi Pug, who came from parent breeds who are both intelligent, is not hard to train. Aside from getting the physical stimulation, he also requires mental training, too. However, make sure that the practice is not too repetitive.
You also have to make yourself as a firm leader who takes training with your Corgi Pug seriously. If you don’t manifest this, your dog will end up being stubborn, bringing out the Corgi side of it. So, make sure that training is exciting but have a firm and decisive approach.
Here are a few tips to help you with training your hybrid dog:
- House Training. The same goes with all dogs; Corgi Pug needs to be appropriately trained to avoid any disasters in your home. Please pay attention to it when your dog usually goes to the bathroom and take it outside at least 5-10 minutes before the usual bathroom time. Reward your pup if he successfully goes to the toilet in your backyard. With positive reinforcement, patience and consistency, your Corgi Pug will soon be potty trained.
- Socialization. Aside from getting to know the Pug Corgi’s new family, introducing it to new people and animals will help your dog adjust to its surroundings, teaching him to be less fearful. If there is a lack of socialization, the corgi pup may become fearful and more aggressive.
- Leash Breaking. As a responsible Corgi Pug owner, better to leash break them as soon as they get it. A nylon collar or flat leather is the best option to leash break it. Once leashed, you can now take your dog outside for a walk, preferably on your left side, and gently guide them to the direction that you want them to go.
Corgi Pug Mix and Families
Bringing in a Corgi Pug into your family is not that bad. Being affectionate and loving dog is good to have around, also because of their fun-loving nature. Furthermore, it is also a smart breed, meaning training the dog is not that demanding, though sometimes the stubbornness will show, thanks to the Corgi side.
Do remember that you stay firm and consistent in training the Porgi, but positively approach them. Though expect, especially if you have kids, that Corgi Pug has this herding instinct, so make sure to inform it that your kids are not herds to avoid any heel nipping and barking. Again, with consistent training, love and appropriate socialization, you don’t need to worry about your Porgi.
You’ll enjoy your time with your Corgi Pug, a well-mannered, intelligent and playful dog. You may think that bringing him into your family is the best choice you have made.
- Morita, Tomoya, et al. “Pulmonary Hypertension Due to Unclassified Interstitial Lung Disease in a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 80, no. 6, 2018, pp. 939–944., doi:10.1292/jvms.17-0716.
- Mehrkens, Lea R., et al. “What Is Your Diagnosis? Laryngeal Mass in a Pug Dog.” Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 2019, doi:10.1111/vcp.12688.
- Harper, Deborah S. Pembroke Welsh Corgi: An Owners Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pet. Howell, 1999.
- Gewirtz, Elaine Waldorf. Pugs for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2004.