42+ Border Collie Mix Breeds
One of the most popular small dog breeds for pet parents who want a well-rounded, friendly family dog, the Border Collie has no shortage of fans.
Because of their adorable appearance and good-natured temper, the breed has been bred with many different dog breeds. Below is a list of eye-catching Border Collie mix breeds.
Boxer Border Collie Mix = Border Collbox
- Border Collies mixed with Boxer puppies need a lot of physical and mental stimulation as they possess high energy levels. They are excellent companions for extreme sports, like cycling, hiking, and running.
- Border Collbox pups are family-friendly and affectionate to people.
- They can have herding tendencies due to their Border Collie origin. Also, some of them can be aggressive to other dogs.
- Due to cross-breeding, there are fewer chances of acquiring fatal diseases. However, you should be aware of the possible health conditions it may have.
- Collie eye anomaly (CEA)
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
Husky Border Collie Mix = Border Collsky
- The history of the Border Collsky pups is not well-document. However, there are details on the history of the parent breeds. Border Collie dogs were sheep-herding dogs on the landscape of the Anglo-Scottish border area. Siberian Husky dogs were traveling and hunting companions of the Chukchi people in Siberia.
- The Border Collie Husky Mix pups have a lifespan of 12 to 20 years. They may be at risk for bone disorders, such as chronic myelopathy, osteoarthritis, and intervertebral disc disorder.
- Both of the parent breeds often have a medium-length coat. They can also have short and smooth coats that are weather-resistant. You can expect the Border Collie crossed with Husky puppies will have this kind of coat as well.
- Playful and active, the Husky Border mixed with Collie puppies require an above-average amount of physical activity. The extended time of exercise will strengthen the puppies’ muscles and bone
Corgi Border Collie Mix = Collcorgie
- With recognition from the International Designer Canine Registry and Dog Registry of America, Inc, the Border Collie mix with Corgi puppies are loving and affectionate with family members.
- However, they can manifest herding behaviors like nipping at children’s ankles. They may also have territorial characteristics, and they become defensive and aggressive.
- Due to the combination of its parent breeds, this mixed breed may have serious health problems such as achondroplasia, a structural health condition, and intervertebral disc disease.
- Corgi mixed with Border Collie puppies have coats that are often thick, and wavy or long. It may shed more generously than other breeds. You need to employ a regular grooming regimen for this pup.
Poodle Border Collie Mix = Border Poodle
- The Border Poodle puppy is a medium-sized cross between a Poodle and a Border Collie.
- Regarding exercise, Poodle mixed with Border Collie puppies need at least 40 minutes of physical activity per day. You may choose to let them walk, swim, or chase a ball. It is better to conduct these activities outside.
- If the puppy is less than 10 months old, you should avoid your pup from doing excessive exercise.
- You may contact breed-specific shelters or professional breeders that can assist you in adopting this mixed breed.
- You will find Border Collie Poodle Mix puppy to be very intelligent and easy to train. Also, they can be all-around companions due to their people-oriented and loyal traits.
German Shepherd Border Collie Mix = German Collie
- The origin story of the German Collie puppies is unknown. However, there are pertinent details on the history of its parent breeds.
- German Shepherd, a herding breed, came from Europe to withstand damp and cold surroundings. The American Kennel Club (AKC) formally recognized this breed in 1908. On the other hand, the other herding breed Border Collie was prominent in Scotland where they protect livestock. AKC officially recognized the breed in 1995.
- Border Collie German Shepherds are heavy shedders, particularly during spring. To assist in proper shedding and keep the shine of your puppy’s coat, I recommend weekly brushing with a pin brush.
- Nutrition is a key factor to promote optimal growth. The amount of food will depend on the size, level of activity, and age of the dog. For young Border Collie mixed with German Shepherd puppies, you need to give high-quality feeds packed with nutrients and vitamins.
Beagle Border Collie Mix = Collie Beagler
- The Border Collie Beagle mix puppies have a strong personality. They have a prominent herding instinct and prey drive, attributable to both parent breeds. You should be extremely cautious when they play with small children and other animals.
- Collie Beaglers are eager to please the owner and easy to train. They are cooperative, and they will follow your commands accordingly.
- Beagle Border Collie Mix puppies will not acquire many structural disabilities, unlike other breeds. You should watch out for manifestations of hip dysplasia and epilepsy. If you get a puppy from a breeder, you should ask for the health clearance of the parent dogs.
- Exercise is crucial for the puppy for two reasons. First, it keeps the muscle and bones healthy. Second, it helps the pup adopt to the new environment.
- When the Border Collie mixed with Beagle puppy arrives at home for the first time, it is advisable to start with an exercise routine immediately.
Labrador Border Collie Mix = Labracollie
- Also known as Borador puppies, the Border Collie crossed with Labrador pups weigh 40 pounds to 60 pounds. The amount of food appropriate for the pup will depend primarily on its weight and the season.
- Border Collie Labrador Mix puppies need more food during the winter season than the summer. I advise a daily amount of 20 calories per pound of the dog’s body weight. For puppies that are less than six months old, you should feed them four times a day. When they are more than six months, they can eat for only two times per day.
- Concerning the grooming of Labrador and Border Collie mix puppies, they tend to keep themselves in check. You need less effort and time as you will brush their coat once or twice a week only.
- You should do thorough research on the available and qualified breeders near you. Also, you can search for this pup in rescue shelters.
Chihuahua Border Collie Mix = Collie Chider
- Collie Chider puppies are relatively new and less popular than other Border Collie mix breeds. Their history is unknown, but I can share details on its parent breeds.
- Chihuahua dogs are descendants of the Techichi breed. They were believed to be the guides of the dead souls. Meanwhile, Border Collie dogs came from the borderland between Scotland and England. They were herding dogs with agility and intellect.
- Due to the Chihuahua and Border Collie’s shared trait of intelligence, this mixed pup can also exhibit an above-average intelligence and become fast learners.
- Chihuahua mixed with Border Collie puppies can also have a herding instinct and aggressiveness.
- Chihuahua Border Collie Mix dogs need an intense exercise regimen. You should engage them in at least two long walks.
Chow Chow Border Collie Mix = Collie Chow
- The parent breeds of Chow Chow Border Collie Mix puppies have long coats. You can expect the offspring to have a long coat as well. They are most probably heavy shedders too. To keep the skin moisturized, you need to give them regular baths.
- Border Collie Chow Chow Mix dogs can be prone to dysplasia. I recommend adding fish oil and chondroitin supplements in their food.
- You can adjust the amount of food by considering their level of activity and weight.
- Chow Chow mixed with Border Collie puppies have high energy in them. They can take on extremely long hikes and walks.
Australian Shepherd Border Collie Mix = Aussie Collie
- Australian Shepherd crossed with Border Collie puppies are great companions, but they do not fare well in being watchdogs. They have a quiet disposition, and they are often calm.
- With early socialization, Border Collie mixed with Australian Shepherd pups are lovable and family-friendly. Be careful in leaving your pet for a long time because it can have separation anxiety.
- The coat of Aussie Collie becomes ruffled easily. Thus, you need to brush it at least four times per week.
- You can also avoid ear infection by checking and cleaning the ears regularly.
- To acquire a Border Collie Australian Shepherd Mix puppy for your home and family, a trustworthy breeder or a rescue shelter is what you need.
Dachshund Border Collie Mix = Collie Dacher
- Getting hold of an accurate account of the history of Border Collie crossed with Dachshund is hard to do. However, I can tell you about the historical data of its parent breeds.
- The Dachshund dogs were from Germany. The medium-sized kind of this breed kept the burrow-dwelling animals away from the field. For Border Collies, they were herders, excellent for controlling the flock.
- Dachshund mixed with Border Collie puppies are family-oriented and friendly to people. They can be companion dogs as they are active and amiable.
- Collie Dachers are eager to please.
- You should remember to keep fresh water accessible for the pup at all times. For its food, the amount will depend on the size, weight, age, and level of physical activity.
Pug Border Collie Mix = Collie Puger
- Border Collie and Pug breeds are heavy shedders. From this information, you can anticipate the Border Collie mixed with Pug puppy will be a heavy shedder as well.
- A bath is necessary when the dog is noticeably dirty. You have to brush its coat regularly.
- If you can keep up with a high energy dog, Pug crossed with Border Collie puppies are suitable for you. These dogs will often go around the lot. You should make time to cater for their need for adequate physical activities.
- A mixed breed has a lower chance of getting serious health problems and complications. A reliable and qualified breeder will show the health clearance of the parent breeds.
Cocker Spaniel Border Collie Mix = Collie Spaniel
- This mixed breed is recognized by the Dog Registry of America, Inc.
- Without adequate exercise, the Border Collie Cocker Spaniel Mix puppies tend to be bark incessantly. An appropriate exercise routine will comprise of a morning, afternoon, and night activities.
- Border Collie mixed with Cocker Spaniel puppies love attention, and they are amiable to children and families.
- Cocker Spaniel Border Collie Mix dogs can be an excellent watchdog. They can distinguish potentially harmful intruders from friendly strangers.
- To find a reputable breeder, you may ask referrals from a local veterinarian and breed club officers.
American Bulldog Border Collie Mix = American Collie
- Border Collie mixed with American Bulldog puppies tend to chew non-stop. They resort to eating things in front of them when you leave them on their own devices for a long time.
- For their diet, you can give them dry feeds with high protein content and necessary vitamins.
- American Bulldog mixed with Border Collie dogs are overall healthy and less prone to develop fatal diseases. It is still crucial to have regular check-ups with a trusty veterinarian, as they could acquire allergies at some point.
- The coat type of American Collie pups can be short to moderate and dense. They are minimal shedders.
- To keep the coat healthy and shiny, I advise that you brush the coat regularly.
Akita Border Collie Mix = Collkita
- There is little information available about the Akita Border Collie mix. However, knowing the details about its parent breeds is helpful in predicting its characteristics.
- The Akita breed is believed to have hailed from the Akita province in northern Japan in the 1600s. They were royal guards and hunters of large game like bears. On the other hand, Border Collie pups were bred to withstand and enjoy 20 miles of running and herding per day.
- Border Collie crossed with Akita puppies may have an innate aggressiveness, due to the hunting work of Akita. They have predictable high energy and will not be suitable for living in apartments.
- To adopt an Akita mixed with Border Collie puppy, you need to find trustworthy breeders in your area or breed-specific shelters.
Blue Heeler Border Collie Mix = Blue Collie
- Also known as the Border Heeler, Border Collie Blue Heeler Mix dogs are intelligent breeds and fast learners. They are becoming popular in dog sports nowadays.
- For proper training, they need positive reinforcement and firm boundaries.
- Blue Heeler crossed with Border Collie puppies are friendly to children and other dogs with early and frequent socialization.
- Blue Collie pups are incredibly athletic. They enjoy sports like flyball and agility exercises.
- You should prevent this pup from getting bored because they may cause trouble. Be sure to engage the dog with enough physical and mental stimulation.
English Bulldog Border Collie Mix = English Collie
- Due to its Bulldog origin, Border Collie English Bulldog Mix puppy is likely to resemble the American Bulldog Border Collie mix. The parent breed English Bulldog are descendants of ancient mastiffs hailing from Asia, and the English Bulldog were brought to England.
- English Bulldog mixed with Border Collie puppies have an independent streak. They manage well on their own when the house becomes too busy.
- Border Collie crossed with English Bulldog dogs have a yearning to be a member of a pack. They are affectionate and do not want to be left alone for an extended period.
- Border Collie crossed with English Bulldog puppies with a short coat type tend to shed heavily, as their parent breeds do. You should have a regular grooming regimen for them.
Golden Retriever Border Collie Mix = Golden Collie
- Depending on the health status of the parent breeds, the Border Collie mixed with Golden Retriever puppy can have health issues. The common ones you should know are skin allergies, eye defects, cancer, and heart problems.
- To determine your pup’s health status, have regular consultation with a veterinarian and provide the nutritional requirements of the dog.
- At all times, avoid overfeeding the dog. The Golden Retriever crossed with Border Collie puppies need vitamins and proper nutrition to ensure a healthier disposition.
- If you want to adopt or buy this mixed breed, be sure to contact reliable breeders or ask recommendations from your local veterinarian. Reliable sources of the Golden Collies will provide health clearance of the parent breeds.
Great Pyrenees Border Collie Mix = Great Pyrecollie
- The Border Collie Great Pyrenees Mix puppies love to exert energy on physical and mental activities. You can provide food-dispensing toys to avoid boredom and promote mental stimulation. Inadequate stimulation and exercise will lead to unruly behaviors.
- The Great Pyrenees crossed with Border Collie dogs are loyal and protective of their owners. They go along well with children and friendly strangers.
- Although the Border Collie mixed with Great Pyrenees dog is more fond of cold weather than hot weather, it can tolerate warm weather as well.
- Great Pyrecollie pups experience seasonal shedding. They require moderate to high levels of grooming maintenance. I advice brushing at least twice per week. You should also do regular ear and eye care for a lower chance of infection.
Bernese Mountain Dog Border Collie Mix = Bernese Collie
- The Border Collie Bernese Mountain Dog Mix puppy is intelligent and easy to train. Furthermore, they have an innate loyalty for defending the family, and they are affectionate to their owners and the friends of their owners.
- They can be reliable watchdogs, ready to call out people who are making suspicious acts. They are keen on observing their surroundings.
- With its short to medium-length and straight coat, Border Collie crossed with Bernese Mountain Dog puppies can have a moderate to heavy shedding. To keep the coat shiny and healthy, you need to use a medium-toothed comb and pin brush.
- Known as high-energy dogs, Bernese Collie pups need more exercise than other breeds. You can engage the pup with swimming, running, and fetching.
Pitbull Border Collie Mix = Pitder Collie
- The Border Collie Pitbull Mix breed came out of the desire to tone down the Pitbull’s aggression and acquire the best traits of the Pitbull.
- Pitbulls originated from Old English Bulldogs in the British Isles. These ancestors were engaged in a blood sport called bull baiting. The Bulldogs mated with Terriers, initiating the propagation of Pitbulls.
- With a lifespan of mid-teens, nutrition will play a crucial role in keeping the dog up and about. If you see signs on malnutrition, you should consult with a veterinarian.
- To ensure a healthy and properly-cared mixed breed, you need to find a reputable and qualified breeder who sells Pitbull mixed with Border Collie. You need to avoid a mix of a damaged Pitbull with a Border Collie. You can ask for health clearance of parent breeds.
Catahoula Border Collie Mix = Catader Collie
- The Catader Collie pups are the products of combining hunter Catahoula and friendly Border Collie breeds.
- Border Collie Catahoula Mix dogs have heightened herding and hunting instincts. However, they are often good-natured and suitable companions. You need to engage them in early socialization to have better interactions with people and other dogs.
- The Catahoula mixed with Border Collie puppies have high energy and above-average intelligence. They need to have lots of physical and mental exercises.
- The Border Collie crossed with Catahoula are overall healthy. However, they may be at risk for deafness, dysplasia, and eye diseases. You should have regular appointments with the veterinarian to ensure the dog’s optimal health.
Shih Tzu Border Collie Mix = Collieshitzuer
- The Border Collie mixed with Shih Tzu puppies have a more aggressive and intense coat shedding.
- You should brush their coat regularly to assist in proper shedding, stimulate essential oil production, and keep it healthy. You should give a bath as needed.
- The Border Collie Shih Tzu Mix dog needs a high energy owner. Long walks are necessary to use up all its energy.
- Collieshitzuer puppies are committed and loyal dog companions. They are affectionate and calm.
- Shih Tzu crossed with Border Collie dogs are keen on observing their surroundings, and they can detect potentially harmful strangers.
Doberman Border Collie Mix = Collie Dobler
- Although the history of the mixed breed is unknown, I can share the details on the history of its parent breeds. The Doberman breed hailed from Germany. They excelled at guarding, military work, and police work.
- On the other hand, Border Collie dogs are believed to be descendants of the older British droving dogs mixed with Spaniels. They were companions of shepherds and controlled flocks well.
- Border Collie mixed with Doberman dogs typically consume 3 cups of dog food per day. You can adjust the amount, based on their weight and level of activity.
- To adopt a Collie Dobler, you can seek the help of recognized kennel clubs and veterinarians for breeder recommendations.
Newfoundland Border Collie Mix = Collie Newfouler
- Also called Border Newfie, the Collie Newfouler puppies are extremely friendly and affectionate. They are known as gentle giants, as they are rarely aggressive..
- The Newfoundland mixed with Border Collie dogs are fond of the outdoors and nature. It is favorable if you have an enclosed garden with adequate space to walk around.
- The Border Collie mixed with Newfoundland puppies need a moderate amount of physical exertion. They enjoy playing with a large ball.
- Health is not a major concern for the Newfoundland crossed with Border Collie dogs. However, you should be aware that their massive frame can cause an extra strain in their musculoskeletal system, especially during old age.
Border Collie Mix Food Requirements
Picking the right food and monitoring the dog’s nutritional needs is a major part of owning a pooch. If you’re new to the dog community, we suggest you start by exploring the best dry dog food and the worst dry dog food brands to get a sense of what you should look for in dog food.
Striking a perfect balance of nutrients from early on is essential. Start by learning the difference between the nutritional requirements of a puppy and a senior dog. The little ones need more lipids because of rapid growth.
So, opting for any of the best puppy food brands is a wise choice as they provide the pooch with the much-needed readily available energy. On the other side are older pooches, whose needs are better met with formulas found in best senior dry dog food.
Nutritional deficiencies are a bummer but are far from the worst possible scenario. As long as the pooch is in good health, they can recoup any micronutrient or the so-called superfood they lack.
The absence of or lower-than-desired levels of necessary molecules in the body can, in the long term, damage the pooch’s health and lead to a number of health conditions. To prevent such an outcome, you should consider adding supplements to the dog’s diet.
Among the many options in the market, check out our review of Nutra Thrive dog food supplement that helps the pooch’s body strike the right balance of macros, and replenish their vital organs with necessary micros.
To help you navigate through the dog food market here are our top picks to give you sense of what premium-quality dog food should look like:
- Wellness Core Dog Food offers a wide range of products for different breeds and life stages, but all of them have one thing in common: dog food that is scientifically tailored to meet the nutritional needs of any dog. High-quality ingredients mean that this kibble is 100% natural and free of grain and meat by-products, while the high nutritional value means that it is rich in antioxidants, probiotics, and Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids
- Dog For Dog Food offers a complete and balanced diet and a perfect ratio of macronutrients for all ages. Apart from being all-natural and preservative-free, this line of food offers healthy treats and snacks like doggy peanut butter.
Border Collie crosses come in all shapes and sizes, so before you go on and buy a bunch of kibbles, make sure you know the difference between the best dry dog food for small dogs and the best large breed dry dog food—they can both be healthy but are not equally suited for dogs of all sizes.
- Grosås, Siv, et al. “Compliance between Clinical and Genetic Diagnosis of Choroidal Hypoplasia in 103 Norwegian Border Collie Puppies.” Veterinary Ophthalmology, vol. 21, no. 4, 7 Nov. 2017, pp. 371–375., doi:10.1111/vop.12520.
- McLeavy, Adrienne. Border Collie. Firefly Book, 2005.