There are many reasons why you might need a dog ramp. Maybe your pet is getting older and has difficulty climbing stairs, or your dog is recovering from an injury and needs a little help getting around. Whatever the reason, a good quality dog ramp can be a lifesaver for you and your pet. Overwhelmed on deciding if it is worth the investment for a dog ramp? Or which one is the best to get? Do not worry; here, we will give you a comprehensive guide to why you may need a dog ramp, discuss the different types of ramps available, and provide a list of the five best ramps on the market today!
Table of Contents
Why you need a dog ramp
You might need a dog ramp for three main reasons: age, injury, and breed.
If your pet is getting older, they may start to experience joint pain or stiffness and have difficulty climbing stairs. A ramp can help take the strain off their joints and make it easier for them to get around.
If your dog has suffered an injury, such as a broken leg or torn ligament, they may need help getting around until they heal and for their mobility once they are healthy. A ramp can support and make it easier for your dog to get where they need to go without putting too much strain on their injury.
Depending on your dog’s breed, you may also need a ramp. If you have a smaller dog, they may find getting on and off furniture challenging without risking injury from those big jumps. This is where the help of an agility ramp comes in! With this type of equipment, your pet can jump easily enough onto all surfaces and safely land back down again without worrying about hurting themselves. Also, many dog breeds are prone to back issues, like dachshunds, French Bulldogs, and German Shepherds, to name a few, where those big jumps can only heighten their risk for specific problems like IVDD. Purchasing and training them to use a ramp can help reduce the chances of these bad back problems and ensure their comfort!
Does Your Dog Need a Ramp?
Still not sure whether you should buy a dog ramp for your pup? That’s alright. To help you, we came up with a nifty questionnaire for you:
Do you have a puppy or a small or miniature breed dog?
Is your dog seven years old or older?
Is your dog suffering from a skeletal condition, such as intervertebral disc disease, hip or elbow dysplasia, arthritis, or similar?
Do you own a disabled dog?
Did your dog have surgery recently?
Do you have tall furniture that your dog likes but can’t reach?
Does your home have stairs?
Do you drive a vehicle with a raised floor?
If you answered any of these questions affirmatively, you are in dire need of this handy assistant.
Small dogs and puppies have trouble navigating your human-size home, and many stairs and elevated surfaces present a hurdle for them. If your dog is past their prime, they will probably have similar difficulties getting around your house due to their weak and achy joints.
Dogs with a disability don’t have it any easier. Doggos recovering from surgery should avoid straining themselves and would benefit from a dog ramp just as much as small, disabled, or old canines do.
Some breeds, such as Doxies, are prone to back problems that may even result in paralysis, so making sure they are safe inside your place is vital. Even climbing into your vehicle may be risky for them, so you should consider getting a dog car ramp if you have a big car and a tiny doggo.
Ramp Features to Consider in the Best Dog Ramp
The choice of the perfect dog ramp for your family will depend on several factors:
- The size of your dog
- Where will you use the ramp
- Will you move it around or keep it in a single place
- The material of the ramp
Size does matter — your doggo could fall off a too narrow ramp or refuse to use it in the first place if they don’t feel secure on it. If you have smaller dogs, you can get away with a narrower ramp — 11–12 inches will do the trick. If you have medium to large breed senior dogs, you will need to look for a product that they can fit on comfortably — 18–22 inches is optimal for them.
Another thing to consider is the length of the ramp — a big four-legged fellow won’t mind if their runway is steep and short, but small breeds need a longer ramp with a milder incline. Toy dog breeds can handle the slope of roughly 18 degrees, while medium and large dogs do well on even steeper surfaces — but you should stay within 25 degrees. Count on the ramp length to go anywhere from three to six feet, depending on the size of your vehicle or furniture.
Where it will be used
Don’t worry if you are not sure about the dimensions — you can always get an adjustable dog ramp that will work for many different spaces. They are beneficial for families with dogs of different sizes or if you plan to use the same ramp for your furniture, car, pool, or deck.
There are three primary materials most dog ramps are made in; plastic, metal, and wood. The size of your pet may determine the suitable material for you on the size of your pet, where you will be using it, and how you want it to look. Plastic ramps are lightweight and exceptionally convenient if you need a portable ramp. The downside is that they are not stable enough for larger dogs. Metallic ramps are heavier and less shaky than plastic ones, but they are prone to rust if used outside, so they are best left indoors. Wooden ramps are durable, stable, and most popular. They are usually carpeted to give them a high traction walking surface; some are even padded or rubberized.
The Top 5 Best Dog Ramps
PetSafe Happy Ride Telescoping Dog Ramp
The Best Dog Ramp
Alpha Paw PawRamp
If you’re looking for a safe and easy way for your dog to get on and off the furniture, look no further than the PawRamp. This wood dog ramp protects your pet’s back and prevents jumping injuries with its adjustable height and non-slip grip. It’s perfect for puppies, senior pets, or any dog up to 80 pounds that need a boost. The PawRamp comes in two different versions – the Full and the Lite – to suit your needs. The Full is best for use with beds and couches and can adjust to four different heights. It also holds up to 80 pounds and only weighs 11 pounds. The Lite is best for use with sofas and can adjust to two different sizes. The PawRamp is the best dog ramp on the market! It has an aesthetically pleasing design, durability to last your pup through tough times, and an easy setup that doesn’t take long at all. Plus, it’s recommended by vets as their #1 choice for dog ramps.
The Top 5
Alpha Paw PawRamp
The Alpha Paw Paw Ramp is the best dog ramp on the market, and it’s perfect for pet owners who want to give their furry friend a little boost. The ramp is made from durable materials and features a non-slip surface, making it safe and easy for dogs. It’s also lightweight and able to lay flat, so you can take it with you wherever you go and easily store it in your house without taking up too much space. The best part about the Alpha Paw Paw Ramp is that it’s adjustable, so you can customize the height to suit your dog’s needs. Whether your dog is small or large, the Alpha Paw Paw Ramp is the perfect solution for giving them a little extra help when they need it.
- The Alpha Paw PawRamp is the #1 vet-recommended dog ramp on the market. Protect your dog’s back and prevent jumping injuries with the easy-to-use, adjustable height and aesthetically pleasing ramp. Our dog ramp is perfect for puppies, senior pets, or any dog (up to 80 pounds) that needs a boost getting up and down from furniture or high surfaces.
- Our wooden dog ramp is durable and perfect for puppies, senior pets, or any dog (up to 80 pounds) that need a boost getting up and down from furniture or high surfaces. Four different height options make it easy to find the perfect fit for your pup!
- The PawRamp comes in two different models, the Full and the Lite, to best suit your needs. They also come in various color options. The Full has four adjustable heights, holds up to 80 lbs., only weighs 11 lbs. and is 40′ long and 14′ wide. The Lite has two adjustable heights, hold up to 70 lbs, only weighs 8 lbs. and is 32.5″ long and 14″ wide, making it easy to take on the go! The adjustable heights make it easier for a gentle climbing angle for your pups.
- The non-slip grip carpet on the ramp creates a high traction surface, keeping your pet safe while using it and preventing accidental slips and falls. The ramp also comes fully assembled, so you do not need to worry about it being put together incorrectly!
The PawRamp Full retails at $125.00 and the lite version at $119.00. While these dog ramps are an investment for your dog’s health, Alpha Paw brings a very durable and high-quality ramp at a very reasonable price. Alpha paw also has a 30-day money-back guarantee if you do not love the ramp!
PetSafe Happy Ride Telescoping Dog Car Ramp
If you’re looking for a safe and easy way for your dog to get in and out of your car, the PetSafe Happy Ride Telescoping Dog Ramp is the perfect solution. This sturdy aluminum ramp extends from 39 to 72 inches, depending on the size of your vehicle, and features a high-traction surface and side rails to prevent your pet from slipping or wobbling. The ramp also has a safety latch to keep it locked in place while you’re traveling. Plus, at only 13 pounds, the Happy Ride Dog Ramp is lightweight yet strong enough to support up to 400 pounds.
• The Happy Ride Telescoping Dog Ramp is perfect for helping pets into the cargo area of your SUV. It can be easy to store in your car by sliding it into place and locking it with the safety latch.
• This ramp is specifically designed to be a dog car ramp, extending between 39-72 inches, depending on the size of your vehicle. It also has a high-traction surface and side rails to keep pets safe during loading & unloading.
• This Dog Ramp is lightweight at only 13 lbs. but durable and can support up to 400 pounds.
• This product is independently safety tested for strength and durability, which means that it’s been tested a lot.
This pet ramp is priced at $119.95. Given the quality of the heavy-duty and durable aluminum materials, this is a great price, mainly if you use a ramp often to get your pet in and out of the car. PetSafe also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee if you do not love the ramp.
PetStep Folding Pet Ramp
Looking for a ramp to help your pet get in and out of the car or climb on furniture? Look no further than the PetStep Folding Pet Ramp! This versatile and durable ramp is perfect for pets of all sizes and ages and can be used in various settings. The PetStep ramp is built to last from high-quality fiberglass reinforced plastic. It has a 500lb capacity to support even the largest pets, and the rubber feet keep it securely in place. The universal grip attachment can be attached to any vehicle or edge, making it versatile.
- Unlike most ramps, the surface of the PetStep ramp is equipped with our original non-slip rubber treads that ensure safe and comfortable usage for your pet.
- It’s made from high-quality fiberglass reinforced plastic for durability and has a 500lb capacity, making it perfect for even the largest pets.
- The universal grip attachment is designed to attach to any vehicle edge or work well on furniture in your home – making it very versatile.
- The ramp weighs about 18.5 lbs. and does fold in half, making it easy to take on the go or tuck away in storage when not in use.
The PetStep folding ramp is priced at $171.62, putting it on the more expensive end than other dog ramps on this list. It does consist of very high-quality materials, though, and has many versatile functionalities. This ramp also has a five-year warranty.
PetSafe CozyUp Sofa Ramp
Looking for a way to help your furry friend get up on the couch without putting strain on their joints? Check out the PetSafe CozyUp Sofa Ramp! This handy ramp provides a safe and easy way for your pet to access their favorite spot on the couch, and it folds down flat for storage when not in use. It is made of durable wood with a decorative finish to match your home décor and is nicely carpeted to prevent your pet from slipping. It’s independently tested and rated to support pets up to 100 lb, so you can rest assured that your pet will be safe and comfortable using it.
- This heavy-duty carpeted wood ramp gives your pet traction to walk up and down without slipping.
- Made of wood, the ramp measures 45 in L x 14 in W x 14 in H. The ramp folds down to store flat between snuggle times.
- It has been independently tested and rated to support pets up to 100 lb
- The decorative wood finish blends in perfectly with your home décor
The PetSafe CozyUp ramp is $119.95, making it comparable to other high-quality wooden ramps on this list. PetSafe also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee if you are not in love with the ramp!
Alpha Paw Car Ramp
The Alpha Paw Car Ramp is the perfect solution for pet owners worried about their dogs injuring themselves from jumping in and out of the car. This ramp provides a safe and easy way for any dog to get in and out of your vehicle, with a high-traction surface that prevents slips and falls. The ramp is also designed for larger dogs, elderly pets, or any four-legged friend that needs a boost, with a weight capacity of up to 200 lbs. Best of all, the Car Ramp packs flat to just 8″ high for easy storage in your car.
- The skid-resistant surface ensures paw traction and prevents slips and falls. This ramp also comes fully assembled; all you have to do is unlatch the folded ramp, and it is ready to go!
- The ramp is compatible with cars, trucks, and SUVs and can hold dogs up to 200 lbs in weight. The ramp is 62″ long X 16″ wide.
- When not used, the ramp only weighs 10 lbs and packs flat to 8″ high for easy storage.
- This ramp is veterinary approved and recommended
The Alpha Paw Car Ramp is priced at $119.00, making it comparable and even more affordable to other high-quality dog car ramps made of similar materials. Alpha Paw also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
So, if you have a pet and are unsure whether you should get them a ramp, the answer is yes. Not only will ramps make it easier for your pet to get around, but they can also provide some much-needed relief from joint pain or other health issues. And when it comes time to choose a ramp for your furry friend, we recommend the Alpha Paw PawRamp. This ramp was designed with pets in mind, featuring durable wood with a decorative finish to match your home décor and nicely carpeted to prevent your pet from slipping. Not to mention its adjustable heights to fit your house and pets’ needs the best! If you’re still on the fence about whether or not to purchase a ramp, we always recommend you talk with your veterinarian about the best health choices for your pup!