How to Give Your Cat a Bath at Home – Tips and Tricks
Cats are notoriously known to hate water.
Thus, it is not surprising if pet owners would struggle in giving them a bath. However, with the right tips and tricks, you should be able to give your cat a bath with the least stress and scratches as possible.
How to bathe a cat?
1. Prepare necessary supplies and items. This ensures that you bathe your furry friend quick and easy.
- Cat shampoo
- Large pitcher/pale/spray nozzle
- Large towel
- Small cloth
- Cotton balls
- Rubber gloves
2. Choose where you want to bathe your cat. Since cats are smaller, most people find it easier to wash them in a kitchen or a bathroom sink compared to bending over a bathtub.
3. Use lukewarm water. Fill the sink with 2-3 inches with it.
4. Apply and lather shampoo from shoulders to tail; be wary about his head, eyes and nose specifically.
5. Rinse thoroughly. Use a gentle spray nozzle. Don’t point the nozzle directly on his face. You can simply splash water on his face and use the small cloth to wipe and clean it.
6. Gently clean the outside of your cat’s ears using the cotton balls. Be careful about not putting water in the ears.
7. After rinsing, wrap the large towel around your cat’s body. Pat dry on the face, while you can gently rub dry on the rest of the body.
8. If needed, you can use a blow dryer. Just make sure it doesn’t terrify your fur baby.
Tips and tricks
To ensure that you safely and efficiently bathe your cat, here are a few important tips and tricks to remember.
1. Brush your cat’s hair before bath time – brushing your cat’s hair remove knots and loose hair. Brushing could also help dislodge dirt. This helps in keeping the bathwater clean.
2. Trim your cat’s nails – this helps you avoid scratching.
3. Make sure your cat is relaxed – choose a time when your cat is calm and even sleepy. Play with your cat to lower down her energy. By the time you give him a bath, he won’t be too strong in resisting you.
4. Use the right shampoo –Human products are not designed for cats. They can be dangerous and can dry out, burn, and irritate your cat’s skin. So, better head to your favorite pet shop for the right cat shampoo.
5. Give reward – rewards can come in the form of a treat, compliment, cuddling, playing, or petting. When you reward your cat after a bath, they would associate bathing with positive ideas. Do this so your cat would be more cooperative and willing the next time you give him a bath.
Cats can groom themselves and so, giving them a bath might not be needed all too often. Be considerate. Only give your cat a bath when needed.
Finally, when you give your cat a bath, make sure you do it in a fun and loving way. If your cat won’t cooperate at first, give it time and let him explore first the bath area. Forcing your cat should be the least of the things you want to do.
By applying the tips and tricks mentioned in this blog, we hope you give your cat a wonderful and fun bath time.
Do you have any tips on bathing your cat? Let us know in the comments!