Common Household Foods That Are TOXIC For Your Dog
Some Foods You Are Feeding Your Dog Could be Toxic
Sometimes it’s tempting to give into those begging puppy dog eyes and share a few bits of table food, and most of the time, it’s harmless. But there are actually some common household food items that are actually toxic for our fur babies.
It’s important to be aware of these foods to avoid any complications or unexpected trips to the vet.
Here are 6 common foods that you should avoid giving to your dog:
Avocados have something called persin. It’s fine for people who aren’t allergic to it. But too much might cause vomiting or diarrhea in dogs. If you grow avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit. Also, the avocado seed can become stuck in the intestines or stomach, and obstruction could be fatal.
Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, a few peanut butters, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. It can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems. Eventually, your dog may have seizures. Liver failure can happen within just a few days.
Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on people. But it takes a lot less to hurt your dog. Just a little beer, liquor, wine, or food with alcohol can be bad. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, even death. And the smaller your dog, the worse it can be.
#4. Onions and Garlic
Keep onions and garlic — powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated — away from your dog. They can kill his red blood cells, causing anemia. That’s even the onion powder in some baby food. A rare small dose is probably OK. But eating a lot just once can cause poisoning. Look for signs like weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems.
#5. Grapes and Raisins
There are better treats to give your dog. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog sick. Vomiting over and over is an early sign. Within a day, your dog will get sluggish and depressed.
Most people know that chocolate is bad for dogs. The problem in chocolate is theobromine. It’s in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous types are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death.
Did Any of These Foods Surprise You?
Some of these foods are well known for being toxic to dogs, but did any of them come as a shock to you? What are some other foods you’re aware of that are toxic to dogs? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.